Recording Direct vs. Recording w/ mic?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by MIDNIGHT, Dec 5, 2008.

Recording Direct? or Recording with a mic?

1. Direct

26.1%
  2. With Mic

73.9%
  1. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

hey guys :wave:

just wondering what the majority preference was between recording direct and recording with a microphone :D .. please vote on the poll and feel free to discuss :thumb:

:cheers:

2. markophonic

markophonic Senior Member

I prefer to mic 99% of the time...though I have done a couple recordings going through a Yamaha DG stomp. I just prefer to take some time and try to capture what I want with mic placement and the room etc.

3. Sony Oengui

Sony Oengui Senior Member

Mic, all the time. Used to record directly but a while a go I got a mic. Never looked back.

4. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I do both on separate tracks and blend the signals, each gives it's own flavor to the part.

5. Sony Oengui

Sony Oengui Senior Member

Mmm, never thought of that. I hate the "line in" sound, but I'll see what happens if i blend the two.

6. tomaburque

tomaburque Senior Member

Mic'd cab still sounds best. But this Line 6 stuff is really good and makes it fast and easy to get a good sound. The Line 6 distortions sound a little harsh and transistory at first, but they do cut through the mix.

7. Slapjaw

Slapjaw Senior Member

I always go direct. I'll have to quit being lazy and wire in some mics.

8. ojk007

ojk007 Junior Member

i've always preferred recording with a mic. As then, you get the sound of the cab :) That said, when possible i take a line out as well, and mix the two.

personal preference would be the e906, a very nice solid cab mic.

9. kluson

kluson Senior Member

had to vote for direct as I'm using pro tools and my mic is rubbish. If in the studio I would use Mic every time. Usually I crank the amp in the studio and play and monitor in the engineering room

10. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

hmm.. pretty obvious favor for recording with mics (as i sorta expected xD ..) .. i'm thinking about starting to record with mic too.. planning on getting a new audio interface (cuz my line 6 toneport makes this annoying crackling sound..), specifically the presonus audiobox cuz it records 24 bit and i hear has notch-above-the-rest preamps in them.. then get an SM 57 or something and start recording that way.. :D

11. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

the direct signal track gives you clean audio to work with for adding effects and then blending with the mic'd cab track gets a big fat sound to the finished tracks.

12. madams17

madams17 Senior Member

I'm not crazy about the sound of direct (I have a POD 2.0) and prefer the sound of a cab mic'd when I can get it. I usually use a SM57 or SM58 off axis to the speaker.

13. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

for mic'd I use a Marshall 4x12 with a SM57 off axis on which ever speaker sounds best that particular day.

14. Bowhunterwt

Bowhunterwt V.I.P. Member

I use both at the same time. I miked and direct in. Then I eq each track differently so get each one a different sound, then pan each one to left and right channel. It make the guitar sound fuller. I used a audix I5 then run it thur a art tube preamp then to the board. I turn on the limiter to avoid high volume spikes. The direct line run thu a DBX Noise Gate then thu a limiter to get the same effect. So I can't vote on this poll because I do both~!!!!:hmm::thumb::fingersx:

15. AbuseArt

AbuseArt Member

I use mic or direct with simulator plugin, for instance Amplitube

16. Volusia

Volusia Senior Member

I use both from a SM57 and a Line6 PODXT Live. I prefer the tonal qualities of amp miking, however, I already have certain tones dialed in on my POD so when I'm ready to record I don't have to waste a lot of time finding the right set up with the mike.

Although I prefer the amp miking overall I find that even when I set the amp up in the same place and put the mike in the same position I can end up with a sound different than I had the last time. :hmm: It could be hearing fatigue on my part but it happens. I also agree with others that doing both on your mix is the best bang. Then you can mix it to your liking.

17. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Using the toneport GX, so I guess I'd have to go with the direct route until I can get a decent amp that is..

18. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

It depends on what style you're doing, too. I know country guys who would rather plug their Teles into a DI box, straight into the console.

The modellers\simulators like POD and SansAmp, and the various plugins for DAWs also have their place, both in the project studio and in the "real" studios. Lots of modern guitar parts are recorded using one of them.

Mic-ng a cabinet with an SM57 works well live and in the home\project studio, but it's not the mic most often chosen in the big studios. They'll most often use a MD421, MD441 (dynamic), or an RE20 (condenser), and sometimes Crown PZMs or Brüel & Kjær 49xx-series mics. And they'll often mix and match those mics at different distances from the cone.