Recording a Rock Band

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Jan 31, 2012.

1. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I can definitely hear more of what's going on without the vocals being too loud now!

2 people like this.
  2. Käi

Käi Junior Member

Hey freddy, is there as possibility to upload the raw tracks of one song? I've just listened to the rough mix of you uploaded (part 3 of your videos) and I would like to check out how the tracks sound separately and try my best to get a cool mix by myself, maybe others are intertested in some practice as well as me. ;)

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I'll ask the band if they are willing to publish the raw multitracks. In the meantime I thought some of you might like to check out some live footage of this band.
    This is from this past weekend, Crutch played a show and I mixed the front of house sound. The recording was done with a Zoom recorder straight out of the mixing board and also a pair of mics to catch the house/audience sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib8paulR86Q]CRUTCH Live! Peej Drum Solo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pfc_dXNb_g]CRUTCH Live! "Lies" - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  4. middy

middy Senior Member

Great thread and killer band. You build a lot of the gear you produce with. That's fantastic. Thanks for posting this.

1 person likes this.
  5. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

The live stuff sounds slamming!! Killer work, again Freddy! :wow:

1 person likes this.
  6. babatube

babatube Senior Member

great recording.
    usually those straight out of the mixer recordings lack bass.
    since there are subs in most of the places you usually turn the bass lower than you would on normal speakers.
    this result in a live recording when you can hear only the bass drum, singer and guitars:laugh2:

not here though, it sounds great and full!

freddy,
    please tell me, is there something you are not good at doing?:)

1 person likes this.
  7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks babatube! Yes you are right about the spectral balance and how it translates to the outside world when recording a live board mix. I used to mix live bands 3 nights a week at a large nightclub for about 6 years. I recorded every night and got a handle on how to set-up crossover levels on the PA for that purpose. The one thing you can't really control though for instance is if there is a loud guitar amp pointed straight at the mix position, it doesn't need as much PA re-enforcement and so consequently it will be low in the recording. On the flip side, the vocal is often too loud in the recording because it needs the most amount of re-enforcement....that's life. If I get a good recoding I'm happy but I wouldn't compromise the live mix to get it, that's always the first priority.

BTW, my ballroom dancing sucks and so does my golf score :D

2 people like this.
  8. renthepen

renthepen Senior Member

Freddy,

When you started this thread it got me exited but it also happened at the wrong time - I was busier than ever and your thread got to a few pages real quick so I decided to wait before I read the whole thing ;)

I managed to take the thread back where I left it today. Impressive and entertaining. Good job!

Thanks for taking the time to bring content to this part of the forum, it's really cool.

Now, I surfed a little on your Youtube channel and found this pearl:
    Freddy in 1990...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_I0KvWcMzk&list=UU6SIzgo0y7WEqk6xHE9lXgA&index=38&feature=plcp]YYZ - Rush (cover) - YouTube[/ame]

:dude:

3 people like this.
  9. babatube

babatube Senior Member

:applause::applause:
    nice mullet freddy:laugh2:
    turns out freddy is a smokin' guitarist as well as a smokin' luthier and smokin' soundengineer.
    at least he can't dance.

10. tampa898

tampa898 Senior Member

Well. We finally started laying down some vocal tracks on my project over here. It's quite refreshing to hear some vocals in the songs we have been slaving with for what seems like an eternity. I'll post a tune or 2 shortly and get some feed back on what you fellers think.

Not to sure of the sound yet. I've been using K2 mic and an LA 610 pre. It's very smooth but it might need a little more edge. I'll see when I start playing with the mix a bit.

1 person likes this.
  11. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

Very nice job on the Rush stuff,you've got some nice chops and had the sound dialed in nice........ that dude singing sounds alot like Rik Emmett,and that's one hell of a compliment.

2 people like this.
  12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Update on the CD. I just finished this mix. This song is about the destructive force of cocaine. It will be the first track on the CD. (warning...some language :D)
    Cheers!

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/freddygabrsek/kill-for-the-kandy[/SC]

1 person likes this.
  13. middy

middy Senior Member

Well the rest of the CD better be dynamite cuz this track certainly sets the bar high. Actually the intro sets the bar high for this track inclusive LOL. Great energy. Lead singer is powerful and shredding and great job recording the vox. Vox Sound huge which is good since anything else wouldn't cut it with this bands sonic assault. Some nice nuances in there too. Guitar whistlin' and pick scrapes. cool. Top shelf as always Freddy. Thanks for posting.

2 people like this.
  14. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

Freddy, i agree w/ Middy @ you set the bar very high, that is the top shelf of recordings from what i hear. I'm very envious and proud to say i have conversed with someone producing such quality.....and only hope one day you can say the same, great job man.

1 person likes this.
  15. Detector

Detector Gold Supporter

Great thread!

This brought to mind a incident I had back in the 80's in a home studio. Our band, a 80's big hair band, wanted to record a demo tape so we contacted a local guy who had a studio and did a lot of recording. While recording I had my suspicions when the guy instead of mic'ing our Marshall's he ran a line-in. In the headphone the guitars sounded like fuzzy crap and I made the comment several times that I hope the recording doesn't sound like that. He said it wouldn't. Of course on the finished recording the guitars sounded like fuzzy crap just like what we had in the headphones.

We refused to pay the $300 fee unless we could redo it, because he claimed "satisfaction guaranteed", but he took me to court instead. I lost the case in court, even tho I had a recording professional along as a witness to testify it was a crap recording, because according to the judge "He couldn't prove if I was satisfied or not" HUH? Actually he was a friend of the guy who did the recording as they called each other by name when we entered the courtroom. I got screwed. Anyone knows you mic a Marshall.

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

WooHooo!
    I just finished the Crutch record about an hour ago! I did my final tweaks and signed off on it. Now it's forever out of my hands...thank GOD!
    Don't get me wrong...I'm proud of it and all, but I sure will enjoy taking a break from slaving over every detail for so long. I read somewhere once that producing a CD is like having a baby....and when I look back it's been a bit over 9 months since we started :D
    Tonight I am making myself a nice Vesper and lighting up a Cohiba :thumb:
    Nighty-night!

1 person likes this.
  17. Orvillian

Orvillian Senior Member

You never finish a record....ya just give up.

18. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

hahaha! Yeah I've heard one similar to that before...you never finish a mix, you just surrender it:shock:

But seriously, it really is important to know when to stop. I was actually ready to sign off on it a couple of weeks ago, but the band kept thinking of the tiniest little tweaks and almost insignificant details that could have been good one way or the other.
    Just because we have the capability to "fix" just about anything doesn't mean we should. I find beauty in the occasional wart!
    The singer in particular pestered me a lot to fix that vocal line or syllable or whatever. And it always came down to a friendly battle. Just to give some background...the singer would come in record his part on a song. He would do several takes until I felt there was enough good stuff and he wasn't giving anything better.
    Then I would comp together 1 vocal track from all those takes...but I tend to go for little things that were slightly quirky or a little less than perfect as long as it had a cool vibe. But then when the singer came back and listened to the comp I put together he wanted me to fix all of the things that I picked precisely for thier unique quirks! It was an arm wrestle to say the least.