Recording a Rock Band

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Jan 31, 2012.

1. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Nice and crisp and you can hear everything great. Drums are killing man! Excellent work.

1 person likes this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey thanks man!
    I was very happy that I was able to use the vocals from a previous take as doubling/thickener during the choruses. Testament to how locked into the tempo they were because ther was no click.

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Sounds Great Freddy!. The only thin i say it could be better is the impact of the voice in the chorus, for me and this is my personal point of view, is that its powerful, yet it is not feeling that big!, i would try to do some harmonies to make it pop out.

I know with the master all will sound more tight and fatter.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks Nic. Good advice! We might try that. You know how it is....a mix is never done until it's actually released on CD.

2 people like this.
  5. EvanPC

EvanPC Senior Member

I really dig the vocals, particularly during the chorus. I'm particularly fond of taking a progression somewhere I wasn't expecting. The big yell he does near the beginning of the each chorus is killer. Don't necessarily see it coming, but it surprises you and sounds great.

2 people like this.
  6. Käi

Käi Junior Member

Sounds killer. That's the kind of music I really dig. Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains with some Stoner Rock into it, neat!

1 person likes this.
  7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Here's another mix. This one was written about 4 days prior to the beds tracking session. The band recorded it on an I-phone and sent me the demo. Although the demo is pretty rough I thought there was a pretty decent tune in there so I said, lets track it and see what happens.
    So just to illustrate the progression from raw demo to production I am posting the demo they originally sent me...here it is:
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/freddygabrsek/unknown-demo[/SC]

And four days later this is what we tracked:

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/freddygabrsek/unknown[/SC]

3 people like this.
  8. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

fab thread!

2 people like this.
  9. nicolasrivera

This is a great song!!!!!:applause::applause::applause:

I will contain my self from critic on it as you have not stated it is the final mix:fingersx: but i love the sound of the voice!!! the guitars!!!

2 people like this.
  10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks Nic!
    Final mix? no, just the first mix....but I always appreciate your critique so go ahead and tell me your thoughts :thumb:

11. nicolasrivera

Drums!!! First thing that stroke me is the dryness of the snare, in my personal view i feel it need to be a bit more wide is too dead centered right now, and the open hihat at the beginning is a bit up, it is capturing too much of my attention from all the other instruments!.

I'm hearing this kind of tight drums for that song:

You know its hard to critique a mix because it is so personal and involves ways we interpret kinds of music so please take my observations with a grain of salt!:thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRJAHaOrYg&list=FLFxQ1wjoZLK69A2SPX2bxfA&index=263&feature=plpp_video]Fireflight - Unbreakable - YouTube[/ame]

12. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

The only criticism I can give on this recording is that the vocals seem too loud, at least on my speakers. I'm just listening to it on my tiny computer speakers, but that's where I listen to most music. Everything seems clear, but I can't turn it up very loud to hear all the underlying stuff, since the vocals end up being too loud.

13. nicolasrivera

When we where in the mixing process of our new album the mixing engineer used some limiting and compression in the final stage just tight up everything, when the mix was ready he turned of all those FX so in the mastering stage the magic could be achieved by specialized gear. So when we heard it with out the limiting and compression it sounded like not as good, but that is the room that the mixing expert has to leave for the mastering, can't give a mix sounding like a mastering to a master to master over an already mastered song....?? hope i said right?:D

In the mastering stage we asked for 2 to 3 takes of each song. Everything was done as analog as possible and was a great experience.

We mixed in Miami and master it in Argentina.

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey thanks guys, comments appreciated. Lucidspoon, after listening for a couple of days, yes I agree the vocals are too loud, so I brought them down by 2 db. I still like them on top, that's usually my preference, I don't go for a vocal that's buried or small sounding so I still want it to sound on top...but you were right it was just too much. And thanks Nic for the snare rev tip, I tried a rev in this mix that is more spacious and thicker.
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/freddygabrsek/unknown-march-5[/SC]

Nicolas, yes that whole mastering thing is a real issue, the band (and everybody else) wants to hear the mix so that it's comparable to all their other commercially released tunes, so yeah I mix with a master limiter on just to get that pseudo mastering pressure. But I do the same thing as you did, when it actually goes to get mastered I turn off the 2 bus limiting or any other "mastering" type FX and let the mastering engineer do his/her thing.
    So to illustrate what Nic and I are talking about, here's the very same mix with all of the master 2 bus effects turned off (remember, it is a lot quieter so just turn your speakers up) :):
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/freddygabrsek/unknown-march-5-no-limiting[/SC]

Some might ask...why bother even mixing with mastering FX on the 2-bus if you're just going to shut them off to send it for real mastering anyway? That's a good question. The answer is that because limiting and mastering compression changes the dynamics and brings low level information more up front I want to simulate that relationship before sending it off for mastering, otherwise things like reverbs or subtle effects are not so subtle after mastering.

4 people like this.
  15. nicolasrivera

Loving it already Freddy!!!! i really like this song!!!:dude::dude:

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks Nic...What do you think of the snare rev?

17. babatube

babatube Senior Member

:applause:

i love the song!

the mix is great.
    be careful of that L2.
    i always mix my vocals low cause i know the L2 will pump them up, way up.

as i said before the mix is great! all the following comments are a matter of different perspective:

my personal opinion is that overall level the guitars and bass must be much higher.
    bringing them up will make also the drums sound tighter.
    the bass is high enough in volume but missing some of that good old low mid.
    maybe a bit 150 hz boost and also a small 800hz boost would make it more clear.
    i would add some level to the kick and some boost in the really low area:naughty:
    probably around 67hz or even lower:cool:

the guitar sound is perfect!

18. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey babatube...thanks for chiming in!
    Haha...this is fun, mixing by internet committee :D
    I can just see the credits on the CD now...
    • Snare rev by Nicolas
    • vocal level by lucidspoon
    • guitar levels, bass and kick EQ by babatube

3 people like this.
  19. babatube

babatube Senior Member

:)
    this is fun indeed.
    i wish i had something to mix then you guys could fine tune me:dude:
    maybe soon hopefully.

20. nicolasrivera

Love it, now the drums feel more integrated and give a a great punch!:thumb: