Recommendations for a good P90 neck/HB bridge combo

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by solteroblues, Jun 22, 2017.

1. solteroblues

solteroblues Senior Member

Hi all, wanting to build a custom LP style guitar, with a P90 in the neck and HB in the bridge. Play mostly hard rock with some blues... own a Marshall silver jubilee and a SL-5 amp, minimal effects. What would be a good choice for the combo? I would like to have clear, articulate cleans, and when the dirt is turned up, keep some clarity without getting too muddy... I currently have guitars with SD Slash Pro's, Gibson 57 Classics, SD JB/APH-1... no P-90s currently... so something a little different may be in order.

Thanks!

northernguitarguy and Who like this.
  2. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

I have my BFG set up with the stock P90 in the neck which sounds great for blues, classic & anything else you throw at it. In the bridge I have a Bareknuckle Warpig that sounds great with everything I throw at it, clean, articulate, ballsy & unbelievable distortion tones. Great sounding combo.

Who likes this.
  3. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

I have my BFG setup with Seth Lover in the bridge and a BG P90 in the neck. Even though I wind my own pickups I like this combo and it will stay in there til the day I depart this earth.

4. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Duesenberg sells the HB P90 combo they use in their guitars. Heard/read good things about them.

5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Why not send Bobby an Email at Tyson Tone & ask his opinion on a matched Set?

He's a Vendor here & a nice guy. He loves P90's & makes nice Humbuckers too.

Other people worth contacting are James at ReWind, Mark at OX4, Jon at Throbak & Alex at Wizz.

They also make both.

Good luck.

:cheers2:

6. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates / Phat Cat is a combo that I'd love to try

7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I'd go for a versatile combo of an Antiquity P-90 with either a Whole Lotta Humbucker or 59/Custom Hybrid. Great for blues & hard rock.