Recommend to me a recording interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Eric Smith, Aug 12, 2013.

1. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

Just when I was about to suggest taking the plunge to go get a Macbook Pro laptop :(

Sorry to hear the news about your amp - that sucks, man!

1 person likes this.
  2. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

it could be worse,you could be a drummer...:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  3. Bladesg

Bladesg Member

You can get 5-6 year old computer technology that still have more than enough balls to run DAW.

Look on ebay for a cheap LGA775 Quad Core CPU (e.g Q6600/Q9450) and a LGA775 motherboard. DDR2 Ram should also now cost peanuts. If you're not going to game, any cheap Nvidia based graphics card will suffice. Brand new hard disc drives and power supplies are extremely cheap also.

If you're not confident assembling a PC, maybe look for a used one with similar specs. Until only recently, I was using a 5 year old quad core for my own DAW running Pro Tools v10 without any issues and plenty of balls to spare.

1 person likes this.
  4. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

IMO at the expense of the sound, the coloration of hitting tape alone adds so much missing from DAW recorded albums.

2 people like this.
  5. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Sure, but I'm on a budget. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. Pokerstar

Pokerstar Senior Member

That may be your system... the dell laptop with an external monitor. It has firewire. So... make it happen! :)

Dude, just read about your Tubemeister... if it's brand new it's still under warranty, isnt it? Suckage, sorry man.

7. SteveC

Agreed, that's one of the losses of digital vs. analog.

I've used a few tape emulating VST's with varying degrees of success; most were disappointing. But, once you get the feel for them, you'll be able to use it to add elements of tape - albeit, with limitations. Yet, it still can improve on the sometimes sterile digital medium.

That said, I generally do not use tape emulation often.

I got over tape along time ago. I sometimes miss it - the whole process, not just the sound - but the whole analog realm, however, I just don't think I would ever go back.

1 person likes this.
  8. SteveC

That and it's about 100000% easier :)

9. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

I have been shopping for studios to do a project at all analog because i was so disappointed with how my first project turned out digitally (granted done by inexperienced engineers ITB)

But in the process about a month ago someone loaded up a 2" and played it for me, the raw playback was better than anything i've ever heard digitally, no contest.

That being said probably not for everyone either, I don't wish to force my preference on anyone.

As per recording interfaces i have a little Focusrite 2 channel that works great for demoing stuff, it was called the Saffire 6 USB, but i believe it's current iteration is the 2i4. Only thing i'd suggest is get more inputs if you can-- you'd be surprised how quickly what you have becomes not enough :laugh2:

1 person likes this.