Recommend to me a recording interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Eric Smith, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

BTW, the computer is a laptop. I'm a little bummed to say the least. Back to square one. Thank you again though middy.

2. middy

middy Senior Member

That's a stinker. I did look into it briefly and it seems it's a pot luck chance getting add on firewire cards to work really well on laptops and that's if they have the ports needed in the first place.

At least your honing this thing in and have plenty of other options.

1 person likes this.
  3. Angus

Angus Senior Member

I can't say the UX2 is no good, but it didn't work for me. It uses usb 1.1 I think, not 2.0 anyway, and I was unable to get it working without snap crackle pop.

I bought a cheap internal pci soundcard (m-Audio Audiophile 2496) and use that in conjuction with a Pod 2.0 and the Sonar X1 DAW, and it seems to work much better.

As I say, you may have no problem at all, just reporting what happened to me.

By the way, reference your sig - I heard last week that the Oxford English dictionary has changed the meaning of literally to include the definition "metaphorically".

I know language "evolves" but that's just catering for idiots isn't it?!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

I do have an opprotunity to borrow a Mac for recording purposes. I'm not sure that I want to do that.

And yes Angus, it does cater to said idiots.

1 person likes this.
  5. middy

middy Senior Member

Speaking of internal PCI cards. I just finished a new computer build and one of the reasons (aside from not wanting all the bundled crap) for doing it was to get a PCI slot. Newer computers have PCIe slots but no PCI slots.

Ironically most of higher end do it your self MB have legacy slots and connections like regular PCI because they know people have devices they love and would like to icorporate in their rig. Mine is an an 1150 MB which just came out to work with the haswell intel cpus released this past spring.

Something to consider if you love your older RME or 2496 PCI cards. I almost bought a premade and would have been out of luck with my rock solid RME.

6. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Daggum computer techies.....speaking some foreign language. Why if I had an internet lawn I'd be an old crotchity man and yell at ya to get off of it. :D

1 person likes this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

Looks like you're back to that +/-$200 Focusrite or Presonus interface...

1 person likes this.
  8. User100

User100 Senior Member

Well, I too began on tape, a Fostex A8 to be exact. During that time I worked with tape up to 1"(in other rooms than mine)

In my studio I then picked up a Fostex DMt 8vl for tracking only( Used a Mackie 24-4 to mix)(mainly to check digital out)

Then I progressed to a pair of D90's and a Mackie 32-8

I had stayed with Fostex as their gear is solid and their Hard Disc recorders use linear non compressed digital.

Anyway I began to realize I did not like recording other musicians and only wanted to do my own thing.

Already mixing down to my PC (Sound Forge) I had a real grasp on the PC world.........so I moved to DAW........2000'ish
    Currently running Sonar(and 4 previous versions) T-Racks,and SF10 (I have a bunch of other software I don't use)
    Run a couple slaved M-Audio cards with mixer and a few rack pre's ,compressors and parametric eq's

I still keep my Fostex dmt8 vl around as well as my DAT, 3 head cassette,and turntable.....LOL.........as well as 3-4 rack fx........just in case:)
    Everything else.....gone.

Yes at some point DAW's become fast accurate tools.....but not until the user has established his work flow and tendecies.

There is a lot to understand about recording, let alone the tech side of a DAW.
    DAW's are an always moving part........HD recorders and tape not.

Alot of folks would be better served to dig in to basic recording for a stretch before getting lost on a PC...........forever:shock::)

Understand why and how...........keep it simple.

No offense taken.....:)

To the OP, Good Luck, I hope everything works out awesome ...:dude:

2 people like this.
  9. SteveC

Some great analog stuff, jungle!

I was fortunate to hang at Sunset Sound in LA, back in the early 80's. I got to watch some serious recording, mixing and final cuts. That was my very first exposure to REAL studio recording. I remember being in awe of the artists that worked the boards and reels.

It was an outstanding learning experience. I did some demo work on an old Studer A827... I think. A 24 track beast! OMFG - now that's a flashback!

10. User100

User100 Senior Member

Just to clarify , my previous book length response.....:)

I am not a pro..........or even close........:bowdown

Just a guy that likes audio and music.

I have never actually been employed at a real studio...............just lucky enough to have met some cool folks that were nice enough to help me along.

A lot of my journey was driven by...........G.A.S.

Which is now thankfully cured........:)

1 person likes this.
  11. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

still in denial eh?:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  12. User100

User100 Senior Member

I'll plead the 5th...........:shock:

2 people like this.
  13. SteveC

14. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

So I keep seeing this thread pop back up and it got me thinking about my computer issue. I happen to have a couple of old towers in my basement that for some reason my wife brought home from work that she figured we may need one day. I'm wondering if one can be built to suit my needs out of what I have.

15. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

They may be serviceable depending on what they are. the biggest problem with PCs is that they are typically obsolete in 3-6 months with the way technology goes. I used to build a lot of custom PCs and the old stuff gets harder and harder to service/repair/replace. I'd say try them out and see if they work for your needs. Can't hurt! Just make sure they fit the min requirements of the DAW and interface.

16. User100

User100 Senior Member

Post the machines specs or model number here and someone here....or I.....

Will check it out and help as much as possible.

I'm pretty good with Older machines with XP and should be able to give you an idea of whats what.......

I still run an older socket 754 and a hot little socket "A".
    I have a socket 939 AMD dual core as well.....but the 754 runs stronger.

17. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Daggumit, I just went down there and it seems that they may have made their way to either some other part of the house or more than likely out of the house. Who knows? I'm gonna have to ask my wife in the morning. If it ain't one thing it's another. My old Dell, which is a much better laptop than this HP, is still down there but the screen is shot. I know for a fact that the firewire works on that one but I have to hook it up to a screen to see anything.

18. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Don't get too carried away trying to make something out of old stuff!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

so buy a used monitor off CL or EBAY for $30,grab the appropriate cable & possibly adapter and get to recording.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  20. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Well, recording might just have to take a back seat. My brand new Tubemeister 18 just took a crap. Talk about raining and pouring.