Recommend to me a recording interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Eric Smith, Aug 12, 2013.

1. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

The software and hardware are independent. You can use most of the different software as plugins in any DAW so make sure you get a good mic input and think of software second.

Even if using the software standalone, it doesn't really care where the signal is coming from.

2. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

I follow ya. The video above kind of made me think about the software in the case of the Line 6 as being exclusive to Line 6, but as I go back over it what you are saying makes sense.

3. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

The Line 6 DAW is shit. Yea, you'll be able to do some basic tasks and a few things (at first) might be a bit easier. But, I guarantee you, if you continue with recording, you will end up getting a more featured DAW... it's not if you will... it's WHEN.

So, you might as well get it now and start off on the right foot. Free software is usually worth what you pay for it. With Reaper, for $60, you are getting a full-featured DAW, that you are unlikely to outgrow. And, you'll get a user community of many experienced folks that you can search for help/answers. There are many YouTube videos to help get you going and tons of instructional documents.

BTW, the Line 6 input device is a toy. A few $$$'s more will get you an input device with significantly better quality/features. This is the one place where you really don't want to try and save a few dollars.

As for recording.. in general... It's not really as hard as it seems. And, once you do it once, you've learned 80-90% of the functionality.

2 people like this.
  4. middy

middy Senior Member

Hey Eric.

I have a Presonus Firebox you can have for nothing. I used it flawlessly for a few years before upgrading to an RME unit. It has two line inputs in back which I hooked a mixer/preamps up to for keys etc. and two combo inputs in front for mics, instrumets etc. I think four or six outputs for monitors. It was a reliable unit and recorded full and clear. It's sitting wasting away in my closet in the original box with the firewire cable, breakout cable and adapter. I'd be great to see it get used. PM me if you're interested.

4 people like this.
  5. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Holy shite man. I would say yes, but my puter doesn't have a firewire port. Kind of pissed me off the first time I tried to use my old video camera with this computer.

6. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A recorder.
    Plug it into the PC, voila.

2 people like this.
  7. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

That is the same money I paid for the recorder 4 years ago.
    Find a nice recorder for half and spend the other half on a mic.
    ;)

9. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

I have an SM 58 and an SM 57, so I'm set there. I have been talking to a guy that I am probably going to ask to lay down some drum recordings for me and he was suggesting an 8 track recorder into an interface. I see that there are some 8 track ones floating around for sale, but not many 16s.

10. SteveC

You should seriously consider taking middy up on his generous offer... then go spend $20 on a firewire -> usb adapter.

2 people like this.
  11. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Sorry for being an idiot, but I had no idea that they made them. I will definatly do this then.

12. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

PM sent.

And to think, all of this time I could have been filming with my miniDV. Now, I'm pissed and plesantly surprised at the same time.

13. SteveC

You're not an idiot... :) I read the post from middy, then yours and just thought, "hmmm, I wonder if they make FW-USB adapters?" Google, read, suggested.

From what I understand (after spending 5 minutes on Google), not all FW-USB adapters "work" well. Do a little research and I'm sure that you'll find the right one.

Now go record something, man! :)

1 person likes this.
  14. User100

User100 Senior Member

I would skip the PC route for now.

Find a used Fostex DMT8 or even a 4 track for that matter, grab a sm57, a used rack mount multi fx and set of cheap powered monitors.

Learn how to track and mix on it for a couple years.

Really work on getting great sound with less gear.

Resist the G.A.S. and Bleeding Edge temptation.

You'll gain more knowledge.

You'll actually know how why......

Good Luck....:)

15. middy

middy Senior Member

I did a bit of peeking around after reading SteveC's post. I think the only adapter that will work really isn't an adapter but a firewire pci/pcie card with a desktop or a pcmcia card for a laptop. That would give you straightup firewire as good as having it stock. Either option should run you about $20 give or take. I don't have any experience with the plug style adapters (didn't know they existed myself) but cant imagine they would work good or at all. Firewire is faster as it streams straight up and usb doesn't. At least usb 2 and under doesn't.

I also remember something about wanting the card to have a Texas instrument chip as they perform better. I remember checking and confirming that my motherboard had a TI chip on my last computer that I used with the interface. Well worth the research.

1 person likes this.
  16. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Thanks for the info middy. I will definately be checking into it tomorrow or Tue. I am very excited and extremely grateful. Thank you again.

17. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

so I started a thread on it-
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/recording-studio/267098-firewire.html#post5410667

2 people like this.
  18. SteveC

There was one adapter (converter?) cable the folks claimed to use, without issue. I don't remember the details, though. I just did a quick google search and scanned the responses.

If your laptop has a "slot" for a mini-card, you could look for a native firewire card that would plug in there.

19. SteveC

No disrespect to AH or zungle... but, I grew up in the "tape recording era". Now, I find having the ability to record digitally, with a DAW is so much better. There is a learning curve, but once you get past that, you can do so much more and you can do it faster & easier.

1 person likes this.
  20. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

After reading through some of the stuff that some of the computer forums are saying about it, there is one that takes a card. Guess what, not only do I not have a port for a firewire, but there isn't one for a card either.