Recommend to me a recording interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Eric Smith, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

I'm looking to get started with some recording since I tend to forget what it was that I played just yesterday that was pretty cool.

It will be for a PC and probably should have software included for say under $400.

Any suggestions and why you would pick said interface would be much appreciated.

2. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Do you want quality or just archives for reference?

DAW = Reaper. Can't be beat for the price, support and functionality

Interface:
    Cheap DI for a single guitar = POD Studio GX
    Higher end for better quality/control = Ask Freddy :thumb:
    Or a Blue Yeti USB mic for direct recording of your amp or acoustics.

2 people like this.
  3. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Well, I didn't want it to be junk. I read all of these "reviews" by the companies themselves and it seems that some of them in this price range can even be used to make quality stuff that people actually put out on albums. My good senses tell me that it may be very good, but that next to a studio produced album I am guessing that it could be a whole lot better. Some quality would be nice though.

4. CheopisIV

I have the POD Studio GX and it's decent, not junk but not high end. If you're looking to mix it up with some digital effects (VST) then it'll do just fine.

Some people use the Digitech RP boards (among others) for DI and they have a bit better usefulness as they can also be taken with you and used through your rig. I've not tried it myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

1 person likes this.
  5. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Thanks CheopisIV. The link is a huge help. Looks very affordable and very useable. At a price like this, one could afford the UX2. I'm wondering if someone had a set of electronic drums if it could be recorded through it too?

6. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Also, and excuse my ignorance here, does one need to purchase recording software or is it part of the pkg? It seems that there is all kinds of software with it, but I watch videos and people are telling what recording software that they are using and now I'm confused.

7. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Of course this video answers that quesion for me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgCaptH-Yw]Line 6 UX2 USB Audio Interface Demo/Review - YouTube[/ame]

8. CheopisIV

I know it comes with POD Farm of some variety which will work in any DAW you use as a plugin. I do love Reaper for the main recording software, so I'd recommend you try their free version and test it out. There are drum VST plugins you can use as well...huge range in price for those and a huge range is complexity too!

Once you get into digital recording, there's a whole world of cool things to play with. I'm still between total NOOB and Rookie on that side of things.

9. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

Mixcraft pro 6 seems well worth the price. $ 150. It has a lot of features compared to the other companies.

2 people like this.
  10. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Will look into it steelehead. Thanks.

11. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

I've been w/ Mixcraft since MC2 & it's good stuff plus there's a great support forum & the techs are top notch. there are also options to pay as you go & student discounts if that applies to you.

interfaces w/ included software-most included DAWs are limited versions and some cannot be upgraded.

electronic drums-yes you can record them through any interface and most of the newer kits have a usb output jack for going direct to computer.

1 person likes this.
  12. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

So is the Line 6 the only one out there that has the modeling such as,what was it, POD Farm?

13. cherryles

cherryles Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  14. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Looks pretty cool. I guess I always assumed that it was just an amp.

15. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Read this thread.

Download Reaper, get a good, reasonably priced interface*, an SM57 & SM58 and then, start recording.

There are many plug in amp sims, too. Most are mediocre, some are good. Some are free, others can get expensive. Price has little to do with quality, however. Some of the free VST's sound better than the expensive ones. None are as good as micing your own amp... assuming your amp isn't shit. But, they are worth exploring, as you grow into recording.

*Specifically, I can suggest the Focusrite 2i4 as your input device. Consider that to be the absolute rock bottom quality/feature point. Don't waste your money on anything less. You will grow out of it quickly and it will sound like shit!

The input device is the heart of your chain. If you plan on recording vocals (hence the SM58 suggestion), you will want a good quality, noise free preamp. Same holds true for micing your amp (with the SM57). Like I said, don't skimp on the input device. For $200 you can get a very nice one - compare/contrast other devices, at that price point & above, with the 2i4. There are other similar quality/feature products out there. I just happen to like the 2i4. If you want more channels, then swim upstream from that price point. But, unless you plan on recording more than 2 inputs at a time, a 2 input device is pretty standard.

For your $400 budget you can get:

1. 2i4 (or equivalent) = $200, or less
    2. SM57 = $100
    3. SM58 - $100

Oh, and another $60 for Reaper.

If you get a good deal on the mics or the interface, you'll be right around $400, including Reaper. Even though it is free to download and use Reaper for 60 days, you should pay for it - if you decide to keep using it beyond then.

I consider this to be the bare minimum equipment quality/price/value configuration.

1 person likes this.
  16. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

I have both of those mics. I have yet to see a 2i4. I've seen the 2i2 and a couple of others, but not the 2i4. I probably just need to check a website though. As far as my amp goes, it's an H&K Tubemeister18 which will XLR right into an interface.

17. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Mic that amp... it will sound 1000% better than DI-ing into the interface.

Also, don't get the 2i2; it does not have quality preamps and it does not have mic pads. Don't go below the quality level of the 2i4. Presonus has something in that price point, too. but, IMO the 2i4 is better.

Check GC, SW, MC and Amazon (I got mine there for $169 a while ago).

18. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Yep, the local GC has it. I could drive over to SW and get it too. I might do that instead.

19. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

also,whatever you buy,if it's from MF or GC get the 2 year no hassle replacement warranty for the extra $9.00.it's worth it.:thumb:

2 people like this.
  20. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

It seems that there are tons and tons different options and opinions on which one to get. I dig the Line 6 software, but am not sold on it. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure that I'm sold on any of the ones that I've looked at. Sure I want inaudible latency, higher quality pre-amps, more inputs, etc., but ease of use is a big deal to me, and they all claim to have it, but the one that looks the "easiest" to use is the Line 6, but it does look like it might be not as good of quality as say the Focusrite or Presonus types in this price range. Talk about your run on sentece, but you get the idea.