Recommend mid-budget pre, eq, comp

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kfowler8, Feb 23, 2017.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I currently have a Focusrite 18i20 interface. Nice 8 xlr input interface and works really well.

I'd like to see about a getting a dedicated single channel pre, comp, and eq to use with vocals. I don't want bargain entry level, but something that would be a mid-budget offering. Especially that would have enough gain for low output mics like an SM7b.

To give you an example, I've been looking at the Golden Age Product pres. I'm not opposed to a 500 style lunch box but I'm ok with it being a rack or desktop base.

Any suggestions?

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey Kevin,

The golden age stuff is nice, it will give you the character of a classic transformer coupled, discrete op amp pre.

For compression and EQ I wouldn't bother with hardware unless you go high end. Plugins will do a much better job than mid budget hardware.

3. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Thanks Freddy. I'll focus on the pre first. Was looking at the GOLDEN AGE PRE-73 DLX

4. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Freddy is much more of an authority on these things than I, But I can also recommend the Warm Audio WA12 as well. Also a Discrete op amp pre with cinemag transformers.

5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

This is up'ing my budget but kind of thinking about an Avalon Vt737SP. I've seen several used in the low $1000 range.

6. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

If you are thinking solid state or lunch box, why not find a used 1073. They hold their value and you get a closely characteristic Neve sound.

[​IMG]

Also for a nice forward sound:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZPnqlN59wQ[/ame]

7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I've got 2 of those. They're nice, they're fine.... but honestly I would go for a Neve 1073 like the one LPSGME mentioned.

8. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

A Neve 1073? Good idea since thousands and thousands of songs recorded we listen to, have used these. Not sure if the new ones are as good as the older ones or vintage. Vintage command the big bucks though if they have been well taken care of!

This isn't a bad idea if the guy that did the work on it, did a decent job! And half the cost at the least. No Lunchbox needed either. Make a reasonable offer, if all is what it should be! Just read the caveat at the bottom of being sensitive to noise from other components!

I can't get the ebay listing to work, but look up the GAP pre 73 with nice mods! $549 shipped, but accepting offers. Read the caveat at the bottom about it being sensitive to noise from other components.

9. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

With Freddy -- GAP with upgrades (if they still do it like that) or 1073. Tried and true.

The Avalon is a really nice unit, but I'll argue till I'm blue in the face about adding EQ and compression at the input *UNLESS* you're simply (?) doing VO work or you're using a rack of them for live use. That said -- The M5 is pretty rockin' if you're looking at Avalon options.

Disclaimer -- I haven't bought preamps since True's P-Solo (do they even still exist?) and Grace's - uh - 101 (?) were the big boys in the budget-friendly battle. Those were no slouches either.

10. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Can't go wrong with the Avalon M5.
    Check out Buzz Audio, I've been very happy with the MA-2.2,,, haven't tried the single channel Pres, they get rave reviews as well.
    Compression,, JDK Audio ,, another gem that them that have like to keep secret.
    EQ, I'm software all the way. I like the ones that start with S's sonnox softube sonalksis,, something about the S's.