Recommend me a mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Dec 14, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Hello my dear good friends,

So, lately I have been on a quest to find awesome guitar tonez through headphones while playing at home. Due to my living situation, I play mostly with headphones in order to not disturb others. I posted in the amp sections of this forum inquiring about a good amp with an onboard headphone output, gave a high end modeler (Axe FX II) a try and decided it just wasn't for me. I've always played valve amps and that's just what I prefer.

The problem is, most valve amps with onboard headphone outputs don't sound too great. I get by with a Blackstar HT-1 but I want to upgrade. I want a big upgrade lol. A fellow member suggested getting an amp head with an XLR output with speaker emulation (I believe this feature is for recording) and the Friedman Runt 20 was brought up. I came across this video and I'm almost dead set on getting this thing and trying to go this route.

Seriously, what do I need in order to get a sound like this with headphones? Specifically talking about the sound at 3:45. I've listened to other "at home" recordings of this amp and I haven't been disappointed with any.

I know I need a mixer, maybe some type of interface, or perhaps both. I'll be honest though, this is extremely unfamiliar territory for me. I don't know nothing about no mixers, interfaces, or recording software. From my understanding, I could just play with headphones without the ability to record anything if I only had a mixer. I would be interested in recording down the road, but one step at a time. I'd like to know more about mixers and how to use them. How much of an impact would it have on my sound? I'm interested in high sound quality, not necessarily multiple features. Since guitar is my primary hobby, I'm willing to shell out a few extra bones.

PS - I will also use the Runt 20 with an Orange PPC Cab. So yeah, it's not only going to be used with headphones.

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Make the Switch for the Better! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Can't say enough good about the QSC Touchmix.

We use the 16 channel, but there is an 8 channel out there too.

And they have released a second generation, so first gens should be cheap and easy to pick up on the used market.
    [​IMG]

Very easy to use and learn.

You can store presets and recall for different uses.

And best of all , you can record in beautiful 32 bit format right in the mixer.

Hook up an external USB hard drive to store the tracks, arm the channels you want to record and play away.

Since it is a mixer, you can play audio along with yourself to listen to while you are recordind, and choose wether to record the soundtrack or not.

Playback is done right back through the mixer channels you recorded on.

You can adjust the playback volume with the faders like any other signal.

Someday down the road if you decide to produce, QSC makes a downloadable export tool to convert their files into standard wave files for use in your favorite DAW.

I have done this into Studio One at home and I want to be the first to tell you that the sound quality is amazing. Really!

I can find no fault in it whatsoever.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  3. DarrellV

4. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

Just a few thoughts..
    First I would look into getting the H&K Redbox I have one and I use it to connect my amp directly to my PreSounus Audiobox USB. Then I connect it to my PC so I can record and with that you can listen to your amp via headphones. There's a separate jack and volume control. This is the one I have.. and it comes with Studio One Ver 3 artist level for free.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96

And here's the Redbox
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RedBox5

I love Studio One.. it's rather easy to use and it's not hard to learn how to use as well.

HTH

5. MichaelAndrew3435

Based on your description and the ones I’ve read online, this thing looks like it might be perfect for me.

Would I be allowed to use this as an FX loop with my Blackstar HT-1 as well? Someone in my other thread told me I’d be able to do that with certain mixers.

6. DarrellV

Describe FX Loop....

Do you want to use the mixer's built in FX with your Amp?

I could see that being do-able.

The Touchmix has 6 or more Aux outputs, each customizable. They are usually used for monitor sends. Having 6 lets you even use earbuds with separate mixes.

So I cannot see why you couldn't feed your loop out from your amp into a channel on the Touchmix, add whatever effects to it, and send it back to your amp out one of the auxes, if that's what you mean...

I looked it up and I see it has an aux input for MP3's or audio.

I also see a headphone jack.

Does it mute the speaker with headphones in?

If it does, I could see you picking up your signal from the headphone jack and feeding the mixer.

You would listen through your mains off the mixer.

You could send a slice of that headphone signal back to your amp using an AUX out.

You could plug effects into this signal and plug it back into the MP3 input to mix with your dry guitar signal.

Am I close?

7. MichaelAndrew3435

Yes, the person in my other thread told me I'd need to use the headphone jack on the blackstar and run it to the mixer. Let me copy and paste what he said.

8. MichaelAndrew3435

"OP, if you dig your HT-1 feeding headphones but wish you could use effects in a loop, just get a little 2 channel mixer that has an aux loop. Feed the amp's headphone signal into one channel, mic the speaker for the other channel when the mood hits, and run your effects in the mixer's auxillary loop. Then patch your headphones into the mixer's headphone jack."

From user "Big John"

9. DarrellV

Are the effects in question stomp boxes or the like? Guitar effects?

10. MichaelAndrew3435

Yes. What I put in a normal effects loop on my amps that have them. Time based effects.

11. DarrellV

Stupid question, but why not put them on the guitar chain going into the amp?

Would solve everything really simple, but you must have your reasons, so please, humor me and do tell....

12. MichaelAndrew3435

The Blackstar HT-1 doesn’t have an FX loop unfortunately. Time based effects would sound meh on the drive channel. I could put a drive pedal in front and run it behind but that also sounds meh. I like the drive channel on the amp better.

I’ve been talking to a guy at Sweetwater and he recommended a device to go along with the mixer plus amp. Here’s the link

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CabClone16

He briefly explained to me what it would do. Basically help attenuate the amp when using headphones or recording.

DarrellV likes this.
  13. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

I had an HT-1 for a while and really liked it. I only sold it because I didn't have a practical use for it already owning a POD HD500 at the time. If you want to cheap just get a POD of craigslist. For playing in headphones a POD (any of them) is hard to beat.

You have so many options it's staggering.

I personally can recommend Zoom R series recorders for this type of thing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--Zoom--USB_Audio_Interfaces

You'll probably get some other good recommendations here as well.

14. MichaelAndrew3435

So I have the amp, mixer, and guitar all setup. My headphones are in the headphone out on the QSC 8. I strum and I see activity on the mixer, but no sound through the headphones. Newbie here. What do I do to hear the amp through headphones?

15. DarrellV

Hit the 'info' button and the help menu is there for everything.

I have a feeling you just have to enable the 'cue mix' on the tracks you want to hear through the headphones.

Yup, just checked... The phones volume is adjusted with the control knob.

Looks like there is a button called 'phones'. hit that to see and adjust the volume with the knob.

Tap the 'cue' button on the tracks you want to hear on the screen..

There are options for where you want to pick up the signal as well, so you know.

You would most likely want AFL (after fader listen) so the slider position on the screen changes the volume in the headphones.

PFL is Pre Fader Listen and is better for using with monitors as the volume won't change with the slider level.

16. DarrellV

17. MichaelAndrew3435

Okay. I did hit the phones button last night when I was trying to do this and increased the volume on the headphones. I'll try the cue option. Does it matter where I plug the Male XLR end to the mixer?

18. DarrellV

End of what?

If it's the amp adapter thing then no .
    I would just use channel 1 for simplicity.

Glad you are liking it and getting the hang of it.

19. MichaelAndrew3435

I meant the end of the XLR cable lol.

20. DarrellV

I feel like were playing 'who's on first' :laugh2:

I seem to be missing what's on the OTHER end of the XLR cable...:dunno:

Sorry! :facepalm: