recommend an audio interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by paradice, Dec 29, 2016.

1. paradice

paradice Senior Member

edited it now....reading that page made me want the monitor speakers as they're meant to be the only choice in that price range.... dunno how much to trust the info on that page mind you!

2. DarrellV

DarrellV 1 Year old and 8K this month or bust! Premium Member

Well, that is interesting......

Let us know how you like it! :thumb:

3. paradice

paradice Senior Member

4. DarrellV

5. paradice

paradice Senior Member

ok thanks an :)

there must be a pci card with coax spdif and headphone out

found this one now...headphone out but no coax spdif

edit , just found this

nothing's very straight forward with these interfaces eh!

6. DarrellV

Yeah, plain line out isn't going to give you much headphone volume.

You could always upgrade your sound card to pro and use that to drive speakers or headphones.

Most recording software will let you pick your audio output source including built in sound cards.

Might be a thought...

7. DarrellV

That just means any Windows sounds (theme noises or alerts etc.) will not come out on the interface. This is normal. Once your DAW takes the interface, it owns it till you close the program.

8. paradice

paradice Senior Member

when I use my pod as an interface using the ASIO driver I can have Ableton open, recording or playing back.... media player/transcribe/youtube etc sound all still works

I'm appreciating how lucky I was when I bought this POD now!

9. DarrellV

Yeah, it is 2 different scenarios.

With ASIO you are using an IO port on your PC to map audio through using software.

The card is mapping the audio through hardware, not a driver.

10. paradice

paradice Senior Member

bit confused..

the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 I got used an ASIO driver just like the POD does (it still shows up in the ASIO driver list in Ableton along with the POD)
    I never checked it tbh (returned it now) but I think it worked the same way.....windows using it as the sound card and Ableton using it at the same time...I never tested it mind you, just assumed it would do at least the same at the POD

are PCI cards different?

11. DarrellV

:eek:
    When you are using Abelton and the 6I6 Abelton owns the 6i6 exclusively for its usage and the Windows system cannot directly impress sounds upon it. This is a good thing as you normally would NOT want the error beeps and squaks of Windows to come through on your recording>>!! :eek:

This would hold true for PCI or external interfaces.

Not sure about Abelton, but in my DAW I can only select one audio source at a time to use. Then ALL audio goes in and out through that device only.

I cannot, for example record from the Saffire and monitor through the PC sound card simultaneously. I would have to monitor while recording through the Saffire, and when I'm finished I could select the sound card from within my DAW to play back through, if I wanted.

So I believe the same would be true with your card. That's why it has line outputs.

Look, I don't know your level of expertise, so if I'm not making sense please tell me. I'm not trying to beat my chest here or anything. I can break it down more if you like, but I don't want to insult your intelligence either. :hmm:

It's tough not really knowing a person, so I appreciate your patience with me. :D

12. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Ahh yes, whatever Abletons input is set to is the only thing that will record.....but windows beeps etc will still come out through the headphones/speakers if the windows playback device is the 6i6, but Ableton won't record them.
    Would need to use the PCs sound card set to stereo mix to record windows beeps etc
    I thought u meant it disabled the windows sounds

I'm no expert but understand most of it, probably don't use or know the proper names for some things....semantics! Or terminology maybe!
    :)

13. DarrellV

Close but no. The windows sounds will be denied access to the selected device in Abelton. They will just be dumped into 'cyberspace' somewhere in system memory.

So yes, in a way they are temporarily disabled because the path to the sound card has been re-routed.

Think of a patch panel or even an old telephone operator station if you remember them.

When you select a device in Abelton you are telling Abelton to take the sound functions of your computer away from your sound card and plug them into the 6i6 for example.

If you then select the POD, it unplugs the patch to the 6i6 and plugs into the POD. Its done by mapping different memory locations under the hood of your PC, but it works just like a physical patch panel.

When you close Abelton it returns your PC's sound patch to its default location, usually your sound card and the Windows beeps re-appear.

14. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Ok thanks man, so if you have your DAW open then you can't just watch a YouTube vid or listen to an MP3 etc?
    I'll quite often have Ableton open and switch back n forth to other stuff as it's not a dedicated sound/recording PC like yours....the windows sounds aren't affected like you say.

All sounds are routed through the POD (if i have it selected as the playback device in windows, rather than my realtek onboard sound) as I can hear alerts etc when my headphones are plugged directly in to the POD.

I'm gonna have to check that when I'm home...
    Doubting myself now ! :d

I'm wondering if It's Ableton or my POD that does something different to allow that to happen.

15. DarrellV

No worries, what you hearing is making sense. Whatever you select is becoming your primary sound card.
    Been a while, I may have muted my windows sounds.

But the important thing here is that you noticed that when the POD is selected all sound goes out through it as well.

This is normal. Whatever is selected handles sound in AND out.

So i would think the PCI card would work the same. You would use the line outs to hear things with.

It looks like on your POD you can send digital S/PDIF out.
    If that's the case you would just connect to the cards S/PDIF input and monitor through the card's output as above.

I guess the only question is if the card's in and out and S/PDIF ports will be visible inside of Abelton.

If the card's driver software doesn't speak ASIO or something else Abelton understands it will not appear in the source menu for selection in Abelton and that will be that.

I imagine somewhere on the card site or manual it must say what it works with.

But after all this, are you sure you cannot get the 6i6 to work for you?

16. paradice

paradice Senior Member

it's more then desk space/wires/extra power plugs that was bothering me Darrell....it was working the way I thought it would when I had it set up...

never realised you could get PCI cards with proper line in etc, I thought they were all 3.5mm jacks

if I can get a PCI card with a headphone out AND coax s pdif (the ESI ones eithert have headphone out OR coax s pdif, none of their models have both) for a decent price it'd be much better. There is a huge jump in price between the ESI cards and any others!

thanks for taking time to explain things...very helpful! :)

17. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I wish I had read this thread before I decided I wanted to start recording.
    Just reading all this was frustrating enough that I probably would have just blown off the idea. I could have saved time, money and lots of energy. I am finally getting almost what I want. Being an old guy, I'm constantly amazed with all the advances in everything else music related, yet this still seems to be more complicated than it should be.

18. DarrellV

In all fairness, Pops, some of it sounds harder to explain that it is to do. Same with music in a way, if you think about it.

I read chords over words in the music I write and use, and back when I started I played the root chord only. Any time there was extra verbage after the chord (sus, dim, min7, etc) I just stripped it off and played the basic chord. I didn't get all the extra stuff.

Then one day years later I'm noodling around with a D chord and start lifting and dropping the pinky in different spots and liking what I heard. So I looked it up and lo and behold, it was a D sus2 or D sus5!

If someone had just told me it was as simple as lifting or placing a finger different, I think I would have understood it better years ago!

In my mind I thought all those extra letters and numbers was something MUCH more complicated that I would NEVER understand.

You can do it, Pops. Once you can get your brain around the basic workings, you can build from there.

It helps if you are familiar with audio workings at some point in your past, (like the patch panel analogy), but not necessary.