Recently painted a "Fool" SG

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by spikeymikey, Oct 10, 2017.

1. spikeymikey

spikeymikey Junior Member

Hello there all. I posted this on one of the other forums here and I thought it might be of relevance within this section. I hope you like it!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

jkes01, Lloyd_m, BurstingOut and 14 others like this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Nice work. I love it!

3. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

Me Too! I always wanted to paint a beater SG up like this or convert a Epiphone into one of these..
    Looks Great!!
    Gary/Hk

4. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

Ha. check my avatar....
    Very cool.

5. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Very impressive sir.:thumb:

6. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

That is gorgeous!

7. BurstingOut

BurstingOut Member

Beautiful work !
    Do you mind sharing the details of the process you used?
    Such as what paints you used - acrylics? white gesso?,
    techniques – did you use any masking or all hand painted lines?
    Prepare the guitar surface at all?...clearcoat after?..

guitarjoem likes this.
  8. spikeymikey

spikeymikey Junior Member

Hi all,

A collective big "Thank You" to you for these comments.

I can se that in your avatar Black Kat, it looks good flanked by a couple of cherry ones!

And BurstingOut, as for the process well, first I stripped the original finish off, gave it two coats of white acrylic primer and sanded the whole guitar china-smooth. This part took quite a while but the body was then ready for the basic drawing which was executed in pencil and the surface needs to be dead flat especially if you want to get the face and hands of the Angel figure delineated well. I prepared a basic blue-print on detail paper of the whole guitar, front, back, neck headstock and then laid the elements of that over the guitar body to mark off key locations of the design. The figure needed to be placed correctly which was made a bit trickier by the fact that the '74 spec SG has a slightly different layout to a '64. Once I'd got a feint impression of where everything went I then hand drew the figure, getting my wife to model the hands and trying to get the facial expression of the Angel as close to the original as possible.
    Once it was all down in pencil I painted everything in acrylic paint with sable brushes trying to paint thinly and build up the colour gradually. I tried to keep the paint, for example, the dark blues very thin to allow the light to pass through the paint surface and bounce back on the high white surface of the primer coat. That way the final colours have more vibrancy and dynamics. I didn't use any masking or paint spraying it was all done by hand. I think being a figure/portrait painter as my job helped quite a bit.

It was difficult painting the back of the neck due to the curvature of the surface, that took much longer than I expected.

The guitar is being clear-coated in acrylic now and I'll post more pics when it's assembled. I hope that helps?

Cheers

Mike

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    BurstingOut and The_Nuge like this.