Recent Epiphone 58 RI. Korina Flying V?

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by rogue3, Oct 29, 2017.

1. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Was on my way to see a local band last night(great gig) and saw this used in a local shop, a recent re-issue(almost new).Gorgeous.Yes, i will demo,tomorrow.

I had been looking earlier in the year for a V but backed off,being a long time LP player...and more recently a Tele man. But i would like a change-up. Didn't want to chuck a load on and be saddled with something i may not like after a while.

I like the way V plays sitting(rt leg in the goove) and standing. I have a set of seth lovers ready to pop in,should i not like the pickups,so, no investment there. I heard they have grovers? Is the neck heavy and unbalanced standing with strap?

But the price is worth a go!. What is outstanding about the recent epiphone re-issues (copies of those Gibson classics)that you can share?( most of the reviews are older). By all acounts i've read, Epiphone has upped its game, recently.Happy as is or needs upgrade?
    thx in advance.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

just thought i'd share..

I gave it a whirl yesterday.I didn't plug in.Just wanted to get a feel for the guitar and fretboard.The appearence is 10/10. i just concentrated on the fretboard.

It tuned up reasonably well,and held its tuning after some vigourous bending with just a little slippage..not bad

The guitar had a nice resonance,i like! Its the lightest guitar i've ever played.Lighter than my lightest Telecaster.

The rosewood was consistant,and nice.Not the rosewood of yesteryear, but nice enough to be on a much more expensive guitar.They have some nice stock there.

Some rough spots on the frets whenbending.easy fix.Fret ends were nicely finished.And enough real estate so there was no slipping off of the high and low E's.No fret sprout at this time.

Some flatting out on big bends?.But i didn't plug in so i'll reserve that for a soundcheck.

The neck shape is...weird.Kinda thick, big D.Not normally my cup of tea It seems like a wide neck, amybe because of the shoulders. Like my Martin with the 1 3/4 nut.Made my Tele's feel svelt. A bit of a culture shock, and closer to my 2010 bat neck R8..Not a deal breaker if the playing position standing with strap on is more comfortable...about that>>>

I played all over the neck...so it was great up the register,but, i found rythym playing at the nut a bit of a stretch,causing my wrist to bend more than normal.That was seated..And my biggest concern.I don't want to have any effort in this position.

I'll have to see if its the same with a strap on when i do a soundcheck. Feels just good enough to go back for a plug-in tryout. If the soundcheck has great resonance, decent sustain that is equal up and down the neck plugged in(no deadspots), then i may make an offer.The wood gives it a unique vibe.

But i'll have to talk down the price 20% less than where its at now, or no deal.Thats what its worth to me.The current sticker price is 511 US$ out the door,including tax.
    I would offer, if it passes the soundcheck,401 US$ out the door,including tax.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  3. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

I was right about one thing...it didn't last the week.sold.just as well as i wasn't entirely convinced.That ends this thread for now:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017