Real or Fake Tokai Experts Where r You

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by swampblues, Oct 22, 2018.

1. swampblues

swampblues Senior Member

upload_2018-10-21_18-18-1.jpeg Is this fake

2. swampblues

swampblues Senior Member

3. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Looks like a proper serial stamp for a 2010. It should have a "Made In Japan" in Black on the headstock back under the last set of tuners. If it has that it`s almost certainly real. Would need to see that and a few more pics to be 100%.

Dealers can order the `Reborn Old` script. At one time there was only some for half a year or so in 1980, now they are all over the place. I`m guessing that`s one that was made for some export model due to the paddle me to the sea headstock.

4. swampblues

swampblues Senior Member

Yea it has MIJ back of headstock long tenon but headstock threw me off

5. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

How about the knobs ?? Some export models had the knobs out of their usual spots. I've never seen a fake with the proper serial stamping and MIJ on back of headstock.

It should be good as long as the headstock doesn't bother you. Epiphone Elites/Elitists use the same.

6. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Agree with the other responses about the script, logo, serial number and " Made in Japan" black ink stamp. Personally, I've never seen that headstock shape, but everything else looks straight.

FWIW, I have two modern Tokais with a "Reborn Old" script on a traditional open book shape headstock, one from Rockin' the other from Guitar Planet. Bother were built to fairly high end standards:

2015 Rockin' Reborn Old Standard - solid maple top, 1 piece back and lacquer finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2010 Guitar Planet LP Special - 1 piece mahogany body and lacquer finish. The electronics were pretty basic, so I upgraded to RS Guitarworks electronics set and a pair of Thorn Staple pickups. Now it kicks all kind of rear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Erob

Erob Member

I am NOT a Tokai expert!! I asked a friend of mine that's a member here on the forum about this guitar. He mentioned everything most have already stated, seems to be an export model. One thing he brought up I missed; There are no pics of the back of the guitar. That made me shy away from it.

8. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I'd pass on it.

My 79 LS50 Screenshot_20181023-085251_Gallery.jpg

9. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Purdy guitars, thanks for sharing. I'd seen rockin's before but never knew that other dealers had ordered 'Reborn Old' custom runs either. Rockin introduced fret nibs in their latest run of Reborn standards, so Tokai must be doing that again now on request.

Rockin do the LSS Reborn too:
    https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop3200/DS03840714/

Now they need to put on some double-ring klusons and a pointed bell truss rod cover.

10. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

i have a '13 reborn old. have always heard and read a few places that these were
    periodic releases, but who knows...

toke.jpg

nigelthebald likes this.
  11. Lumi71

Lumi71 Senior Member

AbbeSauniere and nigelthebald like this.