Read Music

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by JPizzzle, Dec 19, 2007.

Do you read music

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. tiedstick

tiedstick V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I would say that when it comes to guitar, music reading is mandatory for Classical/Spanish/Argentinian/Brazilian music. If you plan on playing that stuff, your music reading's gotta be close to top-notch, or its gonna be like pulling teeth. It can get quite complicated.

For electric and acoustic, I'd say use your ears, eyes, and whatever else you need to get it down.

2. Markster

Markster V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I read music but I dont practice reading. (Therefore I'm a little choppy when I try to play sheet music.)

3. Vagus

Vagus Junior Member

I have a bachelors degree in music and I hate to admit it, but for a while I had a bit of attitude people that couldn't/wouldn't read music. While I recognized brilliance in "unschooled" musicians, I liked it to great story tellers that couldn't read or write.

In my youth and arrogance that comes with it, I was probably just jealous that so many where considerably better and more talented than I who "knew" everything but couldn't "do" much of anything.

Truth is there are a lot of smart writers out there that can't imagine a story, and great stories that others don't know how to write. Likewise there are many many great musicians that can't read or write music, but people like me that are not as creative to help write out other peoples great ideas.

I do believe that someone that is really wanting to become a better musician should make an effort to learn the basics. Understanding the language of music is the key to its theory and open the doors greatly to communication between other musicians.

Some have said knowing theory and having "rules" tie up the creative forces, but I believe more often than not it helps give direction when the creative juices are slowing down.

4. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

What really nixed me , abour reading music, early back when I could read music, I went out and bought a Mountain" song book, Only three tunes on that whole thing were correct, because they were Felix Pappalardi's compositions, anything that was " written" by Leslie West was totally way off base , talked to some guys who could read better than me to check the songs over and they told me most Rock guys didnt write, and these were usually figured out by someone else. so why should I spend any more money and effort on learning to read, when more than likely i was going to possibly be wasting my money and time?
    I never set out to be, or had a huge desire to be a " Studio Musician" I appreciate their abilities, skills and craft . all the students from my Guitar I/ Music theory class , had quit guitar , me I was on my second Les Paul and jamming around regularly with friends

5. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

How can a blind man read music?
    I hate reading a book. I can read it but I prefer not too. Takes too much time. By then my ADD kicks in and Im gone. I wont even read directions thats because Im a man..........Im spelled M...........A..........N..........Man. If I dont feel it I dont do it.

6. tredfern011

tredfern011 Member

Here Here, I've been playing for around a year now. I use a Hal Leonard book on how to read music. It gives me a headache also, but, I keep trying. My younger bro. plays too but all he does is tabs. I'm in the process of trying to learn ALL of the notes on the fretboard. That is one tough cookie. TALK ABOUT A HEADACHE. It's fun though.:applause:

7. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Thats me..:thumb:

8. basschick22

basschick22 V.I.P. Member

I can read music (like Vagus, I have a Bachelor's Degree in music (education)). I teach my students how to read at least at a basic level in their private lessons, but I don't limit them to that. We also work on tabs and learning things by ear. Also, we work on songs that each student is interested in learning (and is within their abilities). I think that those are all important skills and having a little bit of each will allow a guitarist to decide which direction they want to go with their playing.

My philosophy is: Give them the tools, and if they choose to use them, they can.

9. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I'd say that makes you a very good and thorough instructor , But thats just one ole blues guys $ .02:naughty::slash:

10. Seoighs

Seoighs Member

Got somthin' outa those 8 years of Mother-mandated piano lessons!

11. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

I recently had this discussion with one of my new students who said right off the bat he can read music. I was impressed b/c he was only playing about 2 years but was very advanced for his age. Since i play by ear and can not read a note I was wondering if I was the right teacher for him

so the next lesson he started reaching under the bed for his music books. the sweat started pouring down my back. I was very relieved when he pulled out a Led Zep and AC/DC complete book and started playing the tab boxes. so we went online and I showed him what real sheet music looks like and I gently explained to him that tabs is not reading music and it is simply a form of finger positions

12. matt1987

matt1987 Member

Somewhat. I learned to read it when I first started playing but if you give me a solo to play in standard notation I'd be lost. I don't know id that's bad or good... :hmm:

13. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

I can't read music at all! I don't even know what chords I'm playing..no shit! I am self taught and I play 100% by Ear, sight and feel.

About 16yrs ago my cuz showed me how to tune a guitar and how to play the basic chords, E C A D etc and I just went off and did my own thing along to tapes.

14. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

To me there is nothing harder than learning to read music. Hell I made it through military basic training and completed two undergraduate degrees while on active duty and I still can't figure it out. Working on it though

15. guitarguru

guitarguru Senior Member

tabs work for me,can't read music

16. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I learned how to read music and some theory, playing in school band for years from grade school into high school. When I ditched the trumpet for guitar, I promptly forgot all of it. LOL