Read Music

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by JPizzzle, Dec 19, 2007.

Do you read music

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. JPizzzle

JPizzzle Senior Member

So I was curious to how many of you guys read music. I'm currently learning to better understand musical notation from a hal leanord book. Do you guys find it more helpful then plain tab, same,?

2. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

I can read the treble clef if I sit down and work it out slowly. I cannot read music onto guitar. For a long time I thought it was essential. That is until I saw interviews with Eric Clapton, BB King and Pavarotti, when it turns out none of them can read music.... I guess it depends what you want to do..?

3. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

i can read, but very basically. it takes me a while to figure it out.

4. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I learned to read when I first started, I had a formal teacher in public school, I found it faster and easier to learn from others and using my ears , plus I hated having to think too much about reading, and not being able to add my own expression
    Too sterile for me

5. dcmey

dcmey Senior Member

I can read but I usually just play the chords. It would complicate things alot if I did. May be in some key areas in a song if wanted to do a solo.

6. Mikeeeeh

Mikeeeeh Senior Member

I can read music and I would use sheet music alot when I play more classical influenced stuff on my saxophone... but I'm a more touch and feel guy when it comes to playing the guitar... :slash:

7. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

I can't even though I tried. Dyslexia sucks.

8. Hexa

Hexa Senior Member

I can read if It really take my time but partitions tend to become messy when there's a lot of chords. Typically, I prefer to follow tabs... especially when the fingering is tricky or when alternate tuning is used

9. LongBeach

LongBeach Premium Member

For starter's, I'm very new on guitar - about 2 years
    But, I have learned to read tabliture (probably spelled it wrong)
    but it's a HELL of alot easier to ready than standard sheet music.

I tried it, but really couldnt catch on very well. Gave me a flipping headache!:mad:

10. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I can read music. Piano music and Sax and drum music... (Yes I'm aware that reading music is the same for any instrument as long as you understand the key signature, I'm just stating that Drum music is different and Piano because it is right and left hand_. Guitar players reading sheet music works, but I only like it if I need to reference something without being able to hear it.

11. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

This is off topic, but, I really hate the way my public school guitar teacher teaches. Everything from a book. All the kids have quit guitar already, and many have or are switching out. she doesn't know how to make things fun. Were in 9th grade and she hasn't taught the kids how to tune a guitar. Hasn't even taught the pentatonic scale. Its pathetic. Anyway.....

I can read music. Got my background from Piano so I'm not bad at reading music on guitar. It has some advantages, but tab is just simpler and quicker. My guitar teacher is making me learn songs by ear though, and thats coming along.

12. Drave

Drave Senior Member

^ what he said

13. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Used to way back when, haven't in a long, long time. Don't find any need to now.
    I just play what comes to me. Whatever I feel.

14. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I was taught how to in grammar school but i have
    never had a reason to use it as a professional

I play rock, not Bach

15. JPizzzle

JPizzzle Senior Member

Hah, these responses are interesting. This guitar instructor that I see once a week or so told me that learning music helps, but from what you guys are saying it seems to only help with particular situations not playing guitar in general. I'll keep at it and see if it does or not.

16. BobbyK

BobbyK Senior Member

I can read, but not instantly, takes me a little while on piano...
    so I checked 'no'

17. Voodooman

Voodooman Senior Member

Reading music? Well, I can tell which notes, time signatures, and key signatures, but it takes a while. Definitely don't have hand eye coordination with it. The only time I use it is when it's the only alternative for writing (which is rare). But nowadays with Garageband and a Midi cable, you can plug straight in and record it. So, not much use for all the dots and sticks.:slash::slash::wave:

18. tiedstick

tiedstick V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I can sight read on trumpet, baritone, etc.

On guitar, yes, but I'm kinda slow.

On piano, I really have to sit and figure it out.

19. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

I've been told that to be a successful professional session player, being able to read is pretty much essential. I can understand how that would work.

For the stuff we play in the band (covers), we tend to pretty much busk our way along and as we have no ambition to play for a living, I don't feel any real pressure to learn how to read. That said, it might be something I have a go at one day.

If I had an instructor that was encouraging me to learn to read, I probably would go with it. Afterall, I'd be paying for his advice so I guess I should take it.

Cheers!

20. Swordscythe

Swordscythe Senior Member

I can read music, but for guitar, it's silly. Unless you're playing adaptations of classical pieces where a lot of instruments are involved... but playing a song that is fairly difficult on tab is next to impossible to read on sheet music. You'd have to be extremely good at it.

So for guitar lead work, sheet music is no good.

On the other hand, tablature doesn't let you tell rhythm, which sheet music does easily. If you're thinking rhythm, sheet music is the one way to go, because tabs can't do it.

so for lead work, tab, and for rhythm, sheet.

But I'm thinking it's best to use neither... just hear and repeat for covers, if you're that good, and think of your own stuff.