Re-fret and value of Vintage?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by guitarplayer, Jun 25, 2007.

1. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Junior Member

I'm considering purchasing of a vintage les paul with the tiny frets
    (fretless wonder). I'm wondering how much it would hurt the value
    of the guitar. I realize a '72 may not be considered "vintage" by
    most standards but I'm sure the idea is the same. This is a '72
    "Custom." Thanks for the advice.

2. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

You going to play it or look at it? If a guitar I own needs a refret and I know I'm going to play it, then I refret it. When I got my 1959 ES345, the first thing I did to it was yank the toasted original frets and pop in some new ones. I'm sure it devalues the guitar a little, but I don't care. Others may have a different view on this, but guitars are meant to be played, right?

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

I agree that a guitar is meant to be played.

A refret on a vintage (whatever that is :) ) guitar may affect the value, although collectors do expect that general maintenance such as refrets may have taken place.

If you do play it, then I would at least try and replace the frets with modern equivalents, i.e. tiny frets. If you are not that concerned then change the frets to whatever you want and keep the old ones in case you ever sell it.

4. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

is it a 72/54 limited reissue
    made in very low #'s & rumored to be made from old wood parts left over from the 50's ( also solid Mahogany no maple top)

[​IMG]

I had one that was Peter Framptonized Long before his reissues ( funny to note his was a 54 converted as well & Gibson reissues have that same route on the inside..maybe it was originally one of his backups ?)

5. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

I would never buy a guitar I wasnt going to play. Whats the purpose.:applause:

6. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

Depends if you are a collector looking for an investment.

I am the same with buying things to play, but I do understand those who collect.

7. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

don't let the snobs fool you or get to you...of course 72' is vintage and refretting decreases the value far less then a refin...that's for sure..

8. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

True I do agree with u john. But myself personally Im not paying 400.000 for any guitar, and hope it will go up in value. To me thats like playing russian roulette with all the bullets in the gun. The player wants to play. i have nuthing against collecting. I think its great. The players that bought them originally didnt think about collecting them I doubt. They bought them to play just so happens they got valuable to some people. But if Iwould have bought one way back when, people like you and I would have played the hell out of it. me I gotta play it. i cant just sit and look at it. If it needs frets Im refretting.

9. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Damn straight. The 74 Custom I recently got is going to get some new jumbo frets as soon as I have some time to refret it.

10. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Yeah - My '71 had small frets on it from the factory. I did it a favor by putting on nice meaty ones - made it a much better guitar IMHO. Don;t go by me though - I stuck a Kahler on it too. :) dilligaf? I play it all the time now!

11. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

There are taller frets available now that would drop right into the narrow slots from a Fretless Wonder, making it a great playing guitar that can be restored without much extra effort.