RC A2 or UO A5 for burstbucker pro

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by davesowden, Aug 16, 2012.

1. davesowden

davesowden Senior Member

I have recently bought a Les Paul Studio Faded and i can,t get away with the tone of the bridge BB pro-i find it too bright and thin for my tastes, the guitar itself seems inherently bright to start with so this doesn,t help. I,m very happy with the tone of the BB in the neck but i think i would like to swap the mag in the bridge.
    I,m looking to warm the tone up and take off the harsher treble, i have some mags inc rough cast A2 and an UOA5, i have swapped mags successfully before but never in a Gibson pickup- which of these 2 mags would give the warmer tone in a BB?

2. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

IME, the best-sounding mag combo for a BBPro set is A3 neck, UOA5 bridge.

HTH,

3. davesowden

davesowden Senior Member

thanks for the reply-how did you find the UOA5 in the bridge changed the tone?

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Between A2 and A5, A2 would be a warmer, lower output, magnet with sweeter mids. A5/UOA5 would be brighter and louder.

I don't care for either in a BB, but then again, I really just don't find that I like BBs. I would probably pick a long UOA5 though, over an A2 in this case, as it would help counteract the lack of top end detail in the coils. A3 could help with that too, maybe even more, and have a better balanced low end and less compression. Still - I'm looking at this as a bandaid on a bullet wound. A magnet can't fix what I don't like about the coils. They have a weird upper midrange bump and a serious lack of detail and articulation, IMO.

5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Let's say that the last swap I did for a customer, changed the general tone from "obnoxiously screechy bright" to "crispy vintage-y", as his guitar was VERY BRIGHT to start with.

Bottom line: turned "unusable" to "more than decent".

YMMV.

1 person likes this.
  6. davesowden

davesowden Senior Member

i am tempted to just change the pickup and there are plenty of alternatives but ,having just paid for the guitar, funds are short so thought a mag swap would be a very cheap fix. I,ve got a SD59 which would probably do the trick....

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Not in your case. It'll be a bit better, but it won't solve the problem.

Get the mags and make the swap. Ten bucks tops. At least you'll be able to use your instrument without causing permanent damage in the ears of your audience! ;)

8. davesowden

davesowden Senior Member

not a seymour duncan fan i see!!

9. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

On the contrary, I've been accused of being the biggest and most obnoxious Duncan pusher in this very Forum!

I'm talking about your particular case... I'm just going for an alleged SOLUTION to your problem. Installing another A5 p'up like the '59 wiil be lilke putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound... it's not going to hurt you more, but obviously it won't solve the problem... I hope you understand what I mean.

HTH,

10. davesowden

davesowden Senior Member

ok, i see where you are coming from

11. skynyrd67

skynyrd67 Senior Member

The UOA5 is like a A2 but has better output, you would notice a warmer more lower mids tone from the pup and not loose as much output as you would with an A2, kojak hit it on the nose.