R9 vs R0: Body Carve Differences

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

I just found that Gibson specs say that Body Contour -> Carve is different for R9 and R0 (in 2016 at least): "1950's Style Les Paul" for '59 reissue and "1960 Style Les Paul" for '60.

Is it actually different? What are the differences? I played some R0s, and never noticed any differences :)

Attached Files:

2. ONEHERO

ONEHERO Member

One is pregnant the other one is the

3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

The difference is in that 6 instead of 5, that the guy wrote in the Gibson pages.

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Every carve is probably different. They are hand finished after all.

5. jamman

jamman Premium Member

The Originals wee suppose to have slight differences on the body and IIRC the HS . The RI's ?
    Since I 've never had both in hand to compare against the RI's . who knows or cares????

Of course the Necks sizes and shapes are the difference you feel with both ... Old and New
    With the bodies carved the way they are today. It's just faster and less costly for Gibson to make 1 type of LP body ... Bigger differences from the Older machines for the Originals as they were not as accurate .

You might want to post a thread in the Vintage or builder sections to get answers from those who should know more then most here ...

Here, we just B*tch about prices and If the color or top is a nice 1 . and for More and bigger Pics :lol:

6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

The originals were all over the place, some of the deepest carves i've seen were the early models from '52-'56. I have seen a real deep '52 and it had hardly no neck pitch/angle.....Like it has been mention it is easier for Gibson to dial up one guitar as average then try to replicate all the different carves. ....I have to admit i did not know that the original 1960 year had a different carve....:hmm:...

7. skydog

skydog Senior Member

I thought the bodies were assigned year designations based on flame & weight.

8. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Don't forget neck carve....,

9. skydog

skydog Senior Member

That's nice

Crotch likes this.
  10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The R9/R0 bodies come/came from the lightest selection anyhow. There is always variation, and neck profiles will have a bit to do with it.

But its certainly entirely 'not scientific' when you say "weight range" and don't then make any specific determination of that range.......is it 1 pounsd? 2 pounds?!?

I mean every guitar ever made comes in the same weight range......if you extend it far enough.

11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The last years have seen a homogenisation of necks. So I would not hold the data you have gathered as being accurate if you count the majority of years that the R's did have differing neck sizes.

And you still haven't made any science yet......that is the sort of sample size and spread I'd expect from a primary school level project.

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ It does however change the validity of taking only recent weights as being the only thing relevant.

This was a sign at Gibson for the back blanks.....not sure how relevant it is now
    reissue weight.jpg

13. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I can confirm your theory.

I do have a list of 59, 58 and 57 Gts from one of the biggest store here in Europe, and they are ALL in the same ballpark. All R9 are heavier than 8 (so not matching that list in the picture), and basically in the same range as the R8s and GTs. Not a single one is LESS than 8. They are all 2016.

14. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Then that list make no sense at all. Those are too heavy numbers for just the back, and by the way Gibson does declare exactly the same average weight for all the Reissue backs (standard historic and true historic, 57, 58, 59, whatever);

[​IMG]

Thomann store.

15. ONEHERO

ONEHERO Member

EXACTLY!!!! I don’t know how many people believed this trolling pic from old!!!!!!!

PierM likes this.
  16. Bigcat2017

Bigcat2017 Member

I only know Gibson even use scratched guitar for the official photo.:doh:

17. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Are you Sniff'n glue again Andy?:laugh2:

Crotch likes this.
  18. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Weights are still used in deciding what get picked . the last reference to it was here in an interview with EW about the TH guitars. IMO it's still used (to some effect ) for all PL's coming out of the CS .

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/features/gibson-custom-shop-tour/

Quoted from a few paragraphs into the article

"Our main criteria for mahogany is the size: it’s gotta be a one-piece body. And then, the weight. We don’t have criteria for the grain because we want to buy one-piece bodies. For the most part, I want straight grain and I want it more quartersawn-looking"

19. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Er, why is nobody able to realise Gibson doesn't import wood cut to shape. They import body blanks. The weights for a typical blank are accurate......

20. BBD

BBD Senior Member

What you have found supports your argument Andy, but you need a bigger sample size to make any strong claim.

There's also the possibility that Gibson may have internal protocols for weight selection but they are not observed diligently on the shop floor.