R9 neck conversion to a 60s profile?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Dec 31, 2017.

1. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Curious if they still would say that the R0 has never been sold?

I thought that was a strange thing to say...

Who and mudface like this.
  2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

The way they see it a return is considered never been sold.....

Even if it's been "returned" a dozen times.:facepalm:

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

That has to be unethical, you'd think. They sell b-stock all the time

4. mudface

mudface Senior Member

WE absolutely see it as unethical,..... they see it as "Business" and it's obligatory of its employees to conduct it as such. We of course have the option to say " no thanks " I'll take my money elsewhere :D

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  5. cherrysunburst00

And that's pretty much what I've done

6. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Right on. And the "search function"....don't forget that. There is nothing wrong with asking questions....even subjective ones if you have to. Just search it first to make sure there aren't already 1000 threads on the question you seek an answer to. You can bet if it has to do with weight, build materials, neck size, or anything else making a tone difference, it's been covered.

I guarantee you that's why you get some of the "Jesus, not THIS again" responses to your posts. It may be an honest, no harm question on your part, but you've been around a while now, and so it's a "he should know better" type of thing, ya know?

PierM likes this.
  7. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

No, that was just a typing mistake.

Ok. Most of the time, I do that. But either I'm terrible at search, or topics are like 5 years old, and some things change over that time, or people collectively get more experience and collective knowledge changes, evolves. For example, it seems like it might have been true that R9 are lighter than R8, but it might not be so since around 2016. From what I see, even neck sizes were different at different times: early 2000s were different from circa 2009, and these were different from circa 2014, and so on. Then people gather more evidence over time, perspectives change, and 5 years later you can have a different answer to the same question. But ok, I'll try to be less annoying :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    mdubya and freebyrd 69 like this.
  8. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

There are always "general rules". Example.....neck sizes, largest to slim, R7, R8, R9, R0. Of course there are exceptions from every year, but, as a rule.....

Weight.....same thing. R7 GENERALLY heaviest. R8's and R9's are a crap shoot. Doesn't matter the year or decade.

9. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Go watch James Hetfield's left hand. You'll see that he plays with his thumb over the top of the fretboard quite a lot - including Master of Puppets.

Maybe the problem's a bit more three dimensional? Maybe you'd be more comfortable with a neck that's not only thinner, but is also a little bit wider? The LP neck might just be too narrow for your technique and physical make-up.

Also - go and try out a Les Paul Custom when you get the chance. The neck carve might be closer to what you want.

Finally, you should be able to ask your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist. The physiotherapist should be able to help you adapt your guitar playing to the limitations of your injured wrist.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  10. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Stuff.

I've noticed that, but didn't think much about that. I suppose he gets away with that because most of his main guitars must have slimmer necks :)

I've tried wider necks, but couldn't get used to them :)

11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Don't worry. Just try bumping one of those old threads with a new post and you will get plenty of howling about that too. :laugh2:

You've got a good signature move, though: start multiple versions of the same thread across several sub-forums. That way we will know it is you. :thumbs:

mudface, FennRx, Crotch and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

good suggestion in my book. I checked out different Customs a few years ago and there is nothing more comfortable than a Custom neck. I really don't know what it is, but Customs do also have breathtakingly low string action without any buzzing or fretting out.

Also the RIs come in the different neck thicknesses R7/8/9 and 0. I'm still kicking myself for not having bought this yellowed beater a member here sold last year, only 15 minutes away. It ended up at Guitar Point

Stuff likes this.