R9 neck conversion to a 60s profile?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

I have an R9, but I would like a slimmer neck. Is it a good idea to have it sanded down/shaved to a 60s profile, by a luthier, of course?
    Has anyone had thar done that to their Historic? I wonder if that could have any negative consequences. For example, could it result in the neck starting to twist all of a sudden?

2. Andy California

I have an R9, but I would like a slimmer neck. Is it a good idea to have it sanded down/shaved to a 60s profile, by a luthier, of course?
    Has anyone had thar done that to their Historic? I wonder if that could have any negative consequences. For example, could it result in the neck starting to twist all of a sudden?

3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Sell the R9 and buy a R0. With the extra money you can buy me couple of beers.

Cheers. :)

4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

The R9 is gonna lose some value because it's not gonna be "original" anymore.
    If that guitar is totally awesome to you and a slimmer neck would be total bliss
    and you would keep it for the rest of your life, do it.

If it's just a nice guitar with too big of a neck for you,
    buy another nice guitar with the right neck for you.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  5. Andy California

I would lose around 2500 pounds doing that. I assume a conversion would cost me under a 1000. Of couse, that would ruin my guitar's resale value, but if I tried to sell my guitar as it is, I would lose half of what I paid for it anyway (that is, if I didn't want to wait a year to sell it).

6. FKO

FKO Senior Member

A used R9 and R0 should fetch around the same price.

7. Andy California

That's some food for thought. I'd say, neck aside, it's around 96% perfect. However, R0s are pretty rare where I live, and with rare guitars, you can't always get what you want. Therefore, I cannot be sure that I'd get a 100% perfect guitar if I bought an R0.
    To be honest, I don't really feel great about having spent that much money on an uber expensive Gibson guitar. Having owned the guitar for a while, I have come to a conclusion that it's not that much better than a premium Tokai guitar that I owned prior to this one - personally to me. If Tokai made a slim neck premium model, I would be so on it.
    Right now, if I sold this one, the loss would amount to an expensive Tokai guitar, therefore that wouldn't make any sense. I am considering buying an R0 (with or without selling this one), but, like I said, I don't really see it as good value for my money. I am also considering buying a premium model Tokai and having that neck reshaped, but that sounds a bit moot :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. Andy California

Yes, but good luck finding a used R0 (especially a post-2012 one) in the UK :). And then there's a matter of having to worry about selling my guitar. I've read so many stories about problems people face buying/selling their guitars online that I prefer not to take those risks, at least with an expensive item like this.

9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Offer it for trade for an R0. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Stuff and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  10. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

The only negative I can think of is resale and also reducing the number of people who would actually buy it. I'm OK with headstock repairs, but once I see shaved neck in a sale ad, I want nothing to do with it.

People have been getting makeovers with reshaped necks for 10+ years now and you never hear about necks twisting. I think it mostly comes down to the experience of the guy who does the work.

11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Again someone buys a guitar without really knowing what they wanted. This happens all the time. You seem to be a young player with little experience with these Historic reissues and learning an expensive lesson. But your willing to spend another 1000 to shave the neck:hmm: Maybe being patient and waiting for the right guitar/deal could be more beneficial in the long run :D

lpthomas and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

In a word, imho, no. It would not be a good idea.

The negative consequences would be to the value of the guitar.

Buy/Sell/Trade for a guitar that suits you.

Or keep that perfectly good guitar and buy an R0, or a Standard, or a Traditional, or a 60's Tribute with a neck that you like.

Even better, buy a '61 SG/LP reissue.

cherrysunburst00 and Pappy58 like this.
  13. BBD

BBD Senior Member

And you spent how long hunting around the UK for an Historic? :)

And still bought the wrong guitar??

Just sell the bloody thing and buy the right one next time.

14. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

I believe there was a thread recently where this was done and the luthier went through into the truss rod channel. So, I wouldn't if I were you.

Pappy58 likes this.
  15. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

You'll need to refinish the entire guitar as if you shave it down, and try to re-nitro it, the factory nitro and new nitro won't ever bond and you'll have a sticky goo where the two meet. If you love the guitar and how it sounds, then send it to HM, tell them you want a more 60's neck profile but they will for sure work with you on exactly what you want. Again you'll have to get the whole thing refinished because there is no way around it, but the base makeover package for a 13+ reissue is pretty cheap vs. a full makeover, especially if you are NOT going to re-do the board (which is an extra option). They can not age, light age, or age it like it's been abused to no end, just tell them what you want and they are nothing but excellent to work with. I had a TH redone by HM and it turned out great.

And no, the neck won't twist, as long as your truss rod is fine there is no worry of taking the neck down and increasing a twist. Hell the Page #1's I have no idea how they even GOT a truss rod in there the necks were so thin, but mine was true, no warping or twisting.

16. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

then that 'luthier' probably wasn't the best at their job. What'd they use a power sander!!!!!!

17. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Maybe someone can find the thread. Some here said it wasn't too hard to go through. I don't know. Just trying to help the OP.

18. mudface

mudface Senior Member

It was a thread by @YoshiJimbo with the title "My Les Paul got jacked up by the local luthier"..... he has since got his guitar back and seems satisfied with it...

19. Andy California

I bought the right guitar at that time. But, to be honest, one day, I woke up from the dream and realized that the whole Legend of "The Burst" with Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Billy Gibbons is not really that relevant to me.

20. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

There are a lot of good R0s for sale at reasonable prices. Might be an easier path to where you are wanting to go?

cherrysunburst00 and DanD like this.