R8/R9 Pups Just Ordinary

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by theebony, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Wouldn't be the first time they've lied or exaggerated claims. If the BB's are unbalanced, the balance toward one coil isn't anywhere near as great as it is with the Custombuckers. You can hear the difference even before you hit a single note. The Custombuckers may vary wildly set-to-set and some are better than others, but I've seen nothing that makes me think they are just a BB with a different magnet. Even swapping magnets in a BB doesn't get you the same sound (which was something I tried about three years ago with a Throbak A3 magnet).

Nick

alnico59 likes this.
  2. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I understand what you mean. The very first LP I had with BB's was a 2006 R9. I hated playing that guitar... hated it... crazy microphonic feedback, hard midrange and felt "squishy" to the touch.

The first time I played it out with my band, my opinion totally changed. It cut like nobody's business and even the feel changed just by going to a different room (my band rehearsal volume and gig volume are the same, so that didn't change, only the rooms played).

The '57 Classics were the set that could really sound awesome in one guitar, but doo doo brown in another.

Nick

alnico59 likes this.
  3. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Well, I certainly found the bridge CB in my R9 to be (excessively) bright and rather thin, so unbalanced coils and not a BB-like tone at all. The neck CB was more BB2-like I suppose in that it was darker and lacked definition. Neither was up to scratch though, so as I said, out they came and they have stayed out.

4. leifpaul

leifpaul Senior Member

I have a few marshalls..yeah i know , but to me it is not a pleasing sound clean or dirty. Earsplitting treble overdose,lol

5. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Just got off the phone with my tech. The specs (he wrote it down) on the BB2 he unwound was 5700 / 5650 (screw / slug) reading out @ 8.47k.

For comparison he also unwound a Antiquity bridge which was 5225 / 5385 (screw / slug) and reading out @ 8.52k.

Also goes to show ohm readings are not the end all be all.

6. BBD

BBD Senior Member

It goes to show that if you want a decent PAF tone, deriving in part from unbalanced coils, you need to go to a good boutique winder. It's interesting - not in a good way - that the BB2 was virtually equal wound on both coils. Thanks for following this up. I don't have any BBs in any guitars at present, and it looks likely to stay that way.

Absolutely. The underwound OX4s in my R9 are 7.1k neck and 7.74k bridge but sound amazing - completely unlike what you might expect from the bare ohm numbers.

7. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

I absolutely have not only heard PAF pickups , but have played a guitar with them LATELY(early 60's SG). Not only that, but directly compared my SG Special, A 50th anniversary 24 fret SG , and a late 90's SG standard; all back to back with said guitar . through an 18 Watt plexi clone and Marshall 1922 cabinet . I absolutely stand by my assertion that the SG special with 490 pickup set sounded the most like it, and compares favorably with other PAF guitars I have seen and heard in my 50 years.

8. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

Us old guys remember in the 70's when we all couldn't wait to rip the PAF's and T Tops out of our old Gibsons and put in Dimarzio Super Distortions. Looking back I feel like an idiot.

9. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Yeah, it was all about playing Black Sabbath's Vol 4.

10. qblue

qblue Junior Member

Just remember BB1,2,and 3's and custombuckers have unmatched bobbin wirings, historically correct, but deficient for great tone. They were ultimately replaced by Classic '57's.

Demand Classic '57's in your guitar, as they are awesome pickups. Forget vintage sounding pickups. They were in the old guitars, but not designed for today's equipment.

11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I suspect you will not fit in here well......

Not only did the 57s precede the BB's and CB's, but more find them way worse than swear by them.....unless you get one from the first few years

BBD likes this.
  12. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Don't be daft.

thebowl likes this.
  13. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

I can relate to one important fact the op stated,2011 R8's. I have had a changing opinion from the get-go about my own 2011 R8.

Gibson made a significant pickup change that year, to my ears.Never mind the BB1 or BB2 designation.They sound different.The 2011 pickups are markedly different from my early 2010 R8, which is warmer and thicker sounding.I percieve the 2011 pickups to have slightly less output than my 2010 R8's pups.

For a while i dithered...my 2011 lacked clean articulation, i felt.Never thought of them as muddy, but definately not scooped or hollow sounding in clean mode...really leaned toward the brighter side,compared to my 2010 R8.

But when you turned it up through a cranked Marshall(JTM 45 or JCM800 here)...they sound glorious.That thick Marshall crunch is there in spades.Its all there.They have great overdriven articulation. I realized they were just different.Some may want the jack-of-all-trades...but i'm happy with the 2011 R8 as is.I've come full circle.It cuts through the mix and has great overdriven Marshall tone.At stage volume.Not bedroom volume.Different strokes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  14. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Junior Member

For me, it's all about how a guitar sounds, and then finding the perfect pickup for that guitar. I have a 2001 R8 that sounded wonderful with the original 57 Classics. But I couldn't leave well enough alone so I put a set of Antiquities in it and it sounds even better. I have another 2001 R8 Authentic that sounds great with the original Burstbuckers, so I left it alone. In another 2001 R7, I still have the Classic 57s and it's big and fat so they stayed. In yet another 2001 R7, I swapped out the Classic 57s for Fralins and it brought that one to life. In a Studio Plus, I have a Slash set because I didn't like the original ceramic pickups, and it sounds as good as the Historics! To me, the sound of the original guitar will dictate what type of pickup change (if any) will suit my ears.

alnico59 likes this.
  15. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Nice guitars! The '99-'01 era are the dream years for me personally. Every one I've seen and played blew me away.

16. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

Are you talking about CS guitars? Underwound '57 classics? I have always been under the impression the WW spec in a historic are underwound BB 1/2. I think I was even told that at the store, but it was many years ago.