R8 has landed!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Grego, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Grego

Grego Member

[​IMG]

Not too many pics yet. This is the best so far.

Got strap locks on her and now I just wanna play her the rest of the evening.

2. Grego

Grego Member

Night cap!

[​IMG]

3. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

Looks great Grego! How does she sound?

4. Grego

Grego Member

She plays/feels awesome. First plekked guitar I've spent any considerable time on and it's awesome.

Sustain is amazing. Jury is still out for me with the BB's though.

We'll see.

5. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Shes a beauty grego........:thumb: Rock on bro
    JW

6. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

Glad you have it now Greg. Give the BBs a chance, certainly don't touch them for a few months. I love mine in my R7

7. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

I'm glad you're happy with it. I hear ya on the BB's. I like the neck alot but I'm not that crazy about the bridge. It's funny, the neck BB in my 2006 R8 was muddy but the one in this 2007 R8 isn't. I've got a Wolfe slightly underwound marshallhead bridge pickup on the way and I'll see how I like that. I might try a Dr. V neck pickup next. To tell the truth the BB's don't sound bad but I just love tinkering with guitars!

8. Grego

Grego Member

My neck BB is actually one of the least muddy neck pups I've heard. Weird.

JR, I plan on just playing the thing. Too soon to do anything rash. Takes me awhile to settle in with a new guitar and truly discover what it is I like/don't like about it.

I was actually digging the BB's last night so go figure.

9. badhabit

badhabit Senior Member

I like the BB's in my R8, but I have a set of WCR Darkbursts that I bought for a guitar i just sold, so I'll have to try those.

10. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

I swear the 2007 BB's are different/better than the last couple of years. I don't have any basis for this belief but I know two other guys that agree. Maybe we are all imagining it or else our new R8's just sound better. Either way it looks like 2007 is going to be a good year for Historics.

11. Grego

Grego Member

Just don't search for threads on the LPF on leaning bridges!

DOH!

My new baby is a leaner....intonation is fine for now...but the bridge definitely leans a bit towards the bridge pup.

12. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

Mine was a leaner too and so was my 2006. After much research and talking to a couple of experienced guitar techs I just carefully bent the bridge straight. I was told that if you send it back to Gibson that's what they would do unless you made a real fuss about filling the holes and redrilling. One tech that I know has been around the block told me he's done it for forty years and on more than one real vintage burst that got bent from being dropped while in the case. I'm sure someone will tell me it's not the right thing to do but it fixed the problem, took about 5 seconds, and I haven't noticed any negative side effects. I'd rather do this than send it back to Gibson and take a chance on it being buggered up worse. I'm not sure how Gibson could install these wrong and claim they didn't catch it. It should be obvious when the bridge won't intonate properly.
    I'm not a Gibson basher. I love these guitars but it makes you shake your head. I went the PRS route for several years after being impressed by their precision compared to Gibsons but I came back because they just didn't have the soul-mojo to me. Maybe the imperfections are part of the magic of Gibson. I'm willing to accept the tradeoff.

13. Grego

Grego Member

Redfish, I've read most of the leaning bridge posts on the LPF and I think bending them is the correct thing to do. Since my guitar intonates fine right now though I'm not going to do anything.

Oh, 'cept post another pic I just snapped! :)

[​IMG]

14. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

Very nice photos Grego. If you think it sustains great now put a set of tonepros tailpiece studs on it. I got some yesterday and they are unreal. They aren't expensive like the tonepros tailpiece and bridge and you can't tell by looking that they aren't original. They clamp down on the tailpiece locking it to the studs. My R8 had great sustain before but there is a noticable improvement in the transfer of vibration. Great bang for the buck.

15. Grego

Grego Member

Sounds cool man. Tell me, these studs are just the screw in part right? No removal of the bushing is necessary.

May have to give my fave TP pusha a call.

16. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

Yes, They come with the bushing to use if you were building a new guitar but just use the screw in part. I got the vintage steel-nickle plated and they look just like the original. Most noticable improvement of any mod I've ever used. I just ordered another set for my Melody Maker.