R8 Back From Dave Johnson.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Mr Bones, May 23, 2007.

1. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

I personally think the best finish on an LP is a naturally faded teaburst. I originally had the guitar sent off to be finished in an and early fade teaburst by another finisher, I got red, ugly red. I sent it to Dave figuring I would go the full dark cherry burst and fade it to teaburst, and it is coming along nicely. There is something about the unevenness that a natural fade has that if you just spray that color you dont get. Dave's finish really brought out the depth in the top that wasnt there before. Gibson pre stained these 01s and although your never really gonna get all of that out, the refin has made a big difference.

2. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

And when it eventually fades all the way to amber/lemon well its gonna look alot better than the butterscotch finish the guitar originally had. Here is a totally faded DJ finish. Tell me it aint pretty sweet lookin:
    [​IMG]

3. dkirwan

dkirwan V.I.P. Member

I know that most real bursts are faded...but to me they look best with full color...especially when you're paying good dough to have it refinished. That way you can enjoy the guitar's evolution from full color to fade. Why not just have Dave apply an already faded finish?

4. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

You need to read The beauty of the burst to understand the complexity of the finish & it uniqueness of each individuals fade. Vintage restorations Replicates this fade naturally which normally takes 20 - 40 years in which I myself would be on in my years & it is for me to enjoy now:thumb:

5. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

you can't really spray a faded burst and have it look the same as one that is actually faded. Flick I think 20-30 is on the high side for a fade. There are alot of bursts that were faded by the mid 60s.

6. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

true the ones that sat in store windows. I was thinking of normal in & out of the case playing:eek2:

7. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

...you get from Gibson a washed Cherry or a teaburst or whatever...and they do a good job on it,but it is painted on,not faded,and there IS quite a difference in the real look of one that has been faded to one that is painted on...

8. GuitarGal

GuitarGal Senior Member

:shock::shock: Beautiful guitar~ :applause:

9. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Wow, I'd sure like to see that paint job in person, it looks nuts-on in the pix with that fade. Has that brownish-greenish tinge in the faded burst that nobody can seem to replicate correctly.

10. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Pretty nice!

11. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

12. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

Who can resist gratuitous fading shots:
    [​IMG]

13. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

And a fun one:
    [​IMG]

14. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

she's a beauty..but what was the matter with it that you wanted to change the color so much??

15. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

Personal preference. I bought the guitar because it was the best sounding one I could find, but didn't like the butterscotch finish and even thought I might have it refinished when I bought it. The refin and inlays were purely a cosmetic decision, although I do think the different lacquer has had a slight tonal impact for the better. I had it refinnished once and it got bungled, so I decided to get it redone, and have the inlays done while it was in. I get more enjoyment out of it now is the short answer.

16. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

diche, very diche

17. PRSKILLER

PRSKILLER Member

All these Historic Makeovers are giving me ideas that I cannot afford. As for your guitar all I can say is:wow::acoustic:

18. sapi

sapi Senior Member

Very beautiful guitar! Honestly i like both finishes - different but nice in their own right.

19. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

gorgeous!