R7 darkback: refin/repair or not?!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by RokkaRolla, Dec 3, 2017.

1. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

2. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

more pics that HE took or no deal....

BBD likes this.
  3. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

Guys, that's what I have got now.

There's no visible overspray or something. No sharp boarders, no feel of different coat grain or texture.
    The only thing in black light is lighter path along the neck. But the same "bald" place appears at the age of the body.
    I used some photoshop to maximize the contrast. Sorry for iPhone quality.

Thank you all for support indeed!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 11:19 AM
  4. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Hey rock, idk where your pics went but the 4th pic seemed to have a hair line running at a 45° with the black light. I could be wrong

5. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

I got some problems attaching big size pics. Will try to add a link to all images in max resolution in a minute

6. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

:dunno: wait for the pros to chime in, but you can see it in a few pics.
    20171205_120858.jpg

Sct13 likes this.
  7. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

8. jamman

jamman Premium Member

[​IMG]

OK , I'll chime in again . 1st. Still ,none are good pics ( IMO , and I'm presuming) the new 1's are from the seller ? It's not clear to me .... Maybe it's to early in the morning for my eyes ...
    On my Computer screen they look processed in some way . That tells me something ,right off .

2nd. and you all need to look carefully to see it , But in the pic above (I copied from your link) I can see where the serial numbers were taped off . So It's been repainted , at least the head stock ....
    It may take a while to see , But , it's there . I see it faster , because I've seen it before .
    Next look above the serial #'s ..... Top of the Head stock ....Center , mSee the discoloration ??
    Look like 2 different stains to me ... raises more questions ....

Gibson Does not sell 2nd's , anymore . and hasn't for many years , so that not an option , as to why it looks that way , for this guitar . Note , Many of Gibson Seconds Look perfect and are very difficult to figure out what made them be turned into 2nds.

On this 1 /yours, it implicates something else .... HS break ??? I can't say for sure . I don't see it and in that 1 pic noted above , it's , imo , iffy .
    And that's where I have an issue with the look of the pics themselves .

Doesn't mean it's not a legit Gibson , but you may not be getting the whole story . Difficult to say without knowing the whole story from the seller . The other pics I suggested you get are important to determine that factor for a more solid opinion . Seeing transitions points (of staining done) will tell you a lot . Not getting those pics should tell you all you need to know.

Sct13 likes this.
  9. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

jamman, I've mentioned in the previous post that pics are from my iPhone, some are taken in black light, some went thru photoshop to maximize the contrast. The back is really dark! As far as I could see in different angles - no issues at all. She looks solid in black light too. The seller is not the first owner, so no guitar background story, unfortunately.
    Another pic of serial included. Do you still see anything wrong? To my eyes they both look legit!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 11:20 AM
  10. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Senior Member

This would be a tremendously good fake if it were a Chibson which it isn't. Repair or just weird are the options at hand. A misprint is really unlikely imo

11. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

No-no-no! No China 1000%

12. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Yup. I don't think it's a fake so weird or repair. The pix are all uninformative so no clearer now that at the outset. I've heard of SweetSpot (German dealer, respectable afaik), which stands in the guitar's favour a bit - tips the balance from repair towards weird.

bluesondoor and Side Burns like this.
  13. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I did undrstand you used a black light for some of the pics I was not referring to those . The 1st. 2 you posted it's easy to see the color difference . It's the next 2 pics I was thinking were processed . Maybe it's me , so take it with a grain of salt ... Just opinion .

In the 1st. New pic in the post I quoted above , i can see a little bit of what I'm talking about . In the 2nd. Non . it really has to do with the angle the light hits it , to show it .
    I didn't notice it On the 1st. guitar I saw it on for many months ....On a pic I took . After going back to the sellers pics I kept for reference(still have somewhere) I now see it clear as day ....

If I can find time ( I am super busy these days), I'll do a comparison and mark up some pics I have , and yours, showing it ....
    I looked for a while at your pic before I posted my opinion , I wouldn't state that lightly . But I go back and look at that pic(yours above) and see it every time ...
    Question , Have you removed any of the tuners ??? That's a place you Might see something . Like re-painted up screw holes .
    On mine .. The screw holes were painted over to cover up the tuner Mod to Grover's ... Very difficult to see where the serial # was taped off , but it's done to protect and keep the original #'s in tact . it as well done too .

Ok I did a fast job , please don't flame my drawing skills , I have none . If you ZOOM in on your original pic , the "issues " I see become much clearer , imo. HS break ? imo, almost 100% .

InkedInkedIMG_0592_1_LI.jpg

15. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

No, I haven't. I really doubt that we'll see any marks of repair there. If rewinish ever took place, it has been a top notch work.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Agree it was done well . I look inside tune holes and control cavities to see the Paint and if there are different colors of stain there . As an example , The 95 R4 I had . I found the top was re-painted after checking the pup cavities . It was easy to see the 2 different shades of Gold . You can see the overlap of the paints . The tuners are easier to do and get you close to . as good as the control cavities ,imo ., look.
    So , Marks wouldn't have to be a " necessary Tell" to see or look for .

IMO , as much info as you can have/get before giving an offer or buying at an asking price , benefits you . And more so if you ever decide to sell it . At that time , it's always best to inform a potential buyer of all and not have a sale come back at you if that buyer finds you didn't pass along everything about the guitar possible . Consumer protections policy's favor buyers pretty strongly now ...

17. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

I wonder if X-ray could answer all questions. Would the repaired break be visible?

18. RokkaRolla

RokkaRolla Member

Thank you all for the support! The guitar is mine and it is great! Passed thru xray and all kind of checks - no breaks, no pefin. It is 100% original and clean.
    Sometimes pictures destort the reality :)

Becker34, BBD and mudface like this.