R0 NGD -- tone knob question too

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Frozen Rat, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

My recently purchased R0 arrived today. In the pictures below it is the one to the left. I think that is called bourbon burst, or maybe tobacco burst. It's a 2014 just like its sibling next to it, my R8. I bought it off a very nice gentleman advertising it on Reverb. It's used but you'd be hard pressed to prove anyone has ever touched it. It has had two previous owners and yet I've seen more scratches on ones behind glass in guitar stores. So kudos to those prior owners, you two were very nice to my guitar.

I notice the tone knobs are different. On the R8 it has the finger-stabbers, but not the silver tone/volume labels. On the R0 is has the labels but not the finger-stabbers (pointers in case you don't know what I'm talking about). Is that normal? I believe the seller when he says he changed nothing. I think that this is either period-correct (for both), or the first owner swapped out the knobs on the R0 (I don't think the R8s are swapped because I'm the original owner and I doubt the store would have swapped them). I dunno, it's of absolutely no consequence of course, it just gives me something else to talk and wonder about.

As expected, since it's a 2014 model, it sounds otherworldly. I simply love the sound and the look. Don't tell my R8, but the R0, to me, is prettier. It even has a really sweet acoustic tone. I almost don't need an acoustic. Almost.

Slater529 and LPCollector like this.
  2. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

3. jamman

jamman Premium Member

HNGD , Looks great . Difficult to tell what color it is because of the lighting . But as a GUESS , I'm going with BB . Just because of all the RED I'm seeing . A Dark Burst/or TB wouldn't "normally have that much Red in it ,imo . But again the lighting makes all the difference .

You could call Gibson with the serial # and ask them to look it up , They would have that info handy .

As for the dial pointers , Those , imo, were removed at some point . Of all the R0's I've bought ,played , checked out , everyone had them . So if you wanted them , it's a small $$$ add -back to get a set . IIRC Gibson sells them aftermarket, if Original Gibson is important to you . About $10.00 or so .

The inserts on /in the Knobs are special to a 60's era Gibson , (most cases) . For LP's only the R0 get them .
    Originally Gibson added them in 1960 to give the LP a more Bling look along with the Double ring tuners .
    ~ everything Else is the same as early years LP's . OORC the 60 LP had a slightly different headstock shape . I don't know if Gibson does that today , since it would be barely noticeable to most buyers . Maybe Spec Geeks might know more them I do about that .

Opinion here- It's an Electric guitar ,,,, Plug it in and play it . Can't recall anyone famous of not ,recording a song while it was unplugged ... Maybe cause you can't hear it ???? :Ohno::run:

4. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Beautiful pair of Reissues. Congrats on the R0!

As mentioned above, it definitely should have come with knob pointers, but those can be easily replaced.

5. etzeppy

etzeppy Senior Member

Lovely! Reflector knobs are indeed appropriate for an R0 but I do think it should have pointers. Easy enough to add those if you like.

6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I believe that the GC exclusive 1960 BOB Page 129...does not have pointers. At least the ones i have seen do not.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    etzeppy likes this.
  7. etzeppy

etzeppy Senior Member

Good catch.

mudface likes this.
  8. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I didn't see where the guitar is a Made for GC R0 :hmm:. Anyway I saw some pointers at HM's / Retreo spec
    today and imo they have some nice sale prices ....

https://historicmakeovers.com/product/volume-tone-knob-pointer-washers/
    $4.49
    about as inexpensive as I've seen (GC .....$20.00 ,,,most likely :lol:)
    IIRC They ship on Fridays , unless things have changed from the last time i purchased from them (years ago, so who knows )

9. WayneLawKid

WayneLawKid Member

That looks like a dark burst to me. IIRC, Guitar Center did start the BOTB Pg. 129 series in 2014 and did not have the "G" lettering before the serial number on the headstock. Any mention in the COA to a Pg. 129 or GC run?

I have seen them both ways. I suppose it doesn't surprise me that there is some variation. I have a 15' BOTB G0/R0 up in the classifieds that has em. Photo for proof:

2.JPG

Slater529 and mudface like this.
  10. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I have no clue about the OPs guitar or whether or not it's a BOTB 129, I just mention that there was 2014 ROs that came factory stock without pointers (without using as many words),And the proof are with GC photos of this 2014 model (BOTB page 129) and with my personal experience with a few. As mentioned anyone can add pointers. :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Senior Member

Should've had the metal pointers. I personally don't like the finger slicers myself.

12. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

It doesn't have G0 on the headstock (simply 0 4xxxx), but it looks like the ones GC sells as a reissue replica of pg. 129 of the "BOTB" book. I bought from the second owner, who said it was an R0. He could have been misinformed or simply assumed it wasn't one of the BOTB reissues from GC. Since GC commissioned these BOTBs reissues, they could have easily specified to not include the "G" in the serial number and also to omit the pointers. Since what I bought looks more like what GC is selling than anything else, and since they started this in 2014, and it doesn't have the pointers, I think all the evidence points to it being one of those that GC sells.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    mudface likes this.
  13. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

I believe that to be a GC R0, too.
    They didn't use the "G" in the serial number for 2014.
    They don't come with pointers.
    Congrats on the new R0, she sure is pretty!! :dude:

Tim Plains likes this.
  14. mudface

mudface Senior Member

These are awesome guitars and I almost bought one but the GC that had it lost the case and all the paperwork that went with it, I would have still taken it had they gave me a better deal but they refused to budge. So I walked. I would enjoy the hell out of that guitar and add some pointers if you like.:D

15. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

I have bought four reissues from GC over the years. Two used, two new. Can you guess how many of those COAs they lost? That's right, all but one! Each time they took money off, so your situation tells me that they are getting harder to bargain with lately. I have the COA for both of the reissues I own now, and since my latest is a G0, I count myself fairly lucky to have it.

I've been playing both guitars and they sure do sound different to my ear. The R0 is darker and edgier; great for heavy rock and Led Zeppelin kinda stuff. The R8 has this midrange that I can get to mimic a human scream and that guitar works better for slide and Blues in general. I get now why people like owning several of these.

mudface likes this.
  16. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Blessed might be a better word for getting your COA from GC .
    I was aware GC had a non G0(stamped) run of R0's , I was just saying ,in the OP and pic posted , I didn't see anything that would tell you it was a G0 . IIRC that run GC did , had more of a flamed top to them then other G0 runs (which were real plain tops , which I happen to like a lot). If it's R0 , it's all good . imo :):yesway:

mudface likes this.