Quintin's new project, 2 telecasters

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by quintinsnell, Oct 15, 2014.

1. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Hi fellow "make your own guitar" enthusiasts! I've been absent for a rather long time, but I'm back. I've decided it is time to take up my tools again and build 2 telecasters. Yes, I know it's not a Les Paul, but I wanted to try something different. I'm making 2, cos I promised a friend a guitar while I was still busy with my Les Paul, but you can't make a guitar and not have one for yourself, can you!
    I have printed out my plans, and today will be out hunting for suitable wood. The wood I find will determine the guitar I end up building. I'm hoping to build a (pair of) custom thinline telecaster with a body cavity and f-hole.
    Keep watching this spot, I will update it regularly.

2. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Awesome i have been diggin tele's recently. Have 3 going at the moment and a 3/4 jazzmaster.

looking forward to see some progress

1 person likes this.
  3. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

IMG_20141014_134438.jpg

These are the plans I will be using. Same as last time, 2 copies, 1 for reference, the other cut up as templates

4. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

I couldn't decide if I wanted Alder or ash, there are so many opinions on which is the better wood for a tele body. The decision was made for me, I can only find ash, none of the local exotic wood suppliers stock Alder. My plan is to have an ash body, with a maple top, and I will experiment with a mahogany 1 piece neck with rosewood fretboard. It's a bolt-on neck, so if I don't like it, it can always be changed out. I will be going for an all natural colour finish.

Attached Files:

5. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

I will have to make the body out of 2 pieces of wood. Nobody seems to stock planks wide enough for a guitar body. Bummer

6. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Tomorrow, I will get my planks planed, so I can see the grains properly, and try match them as best as possible, to get 2 really nice looking bodies. Once that is done, I will mark them up and start shaping and routing the bodies, as well as get the maple tops. I will also split the mahogany, and start getting that ready to make into the 2 necks.
    I will likely be ordering all my hardware from Stewart Macdonald, as my local guitar parts shop is somewhat lacking at the moment.

7. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

I've sanded the edges of 2 of my ash planks flat, and glued them and clamped them together. Once the glue is dry, I will do the other, then plane the blanks to size. I am taking them down to 35mm, as I will be making the tops out of 10mm maple. That will bring the bodies up to the required 45mm. (obviously I will have them a mm or so thicker, to allow for potential mistakes, and sand everything down perfectly once I have shaped the planks.)

Attached Files:

8. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

I hate waiting for glue to dry!

9. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

I fetched the maple for the tops, I decides to go for normal maple, so no tiger stripes this time.

Attached Files:

10. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

I have now prepared and glued the ash and maple blanks for the first guitar, I will do the second tomorrow. I will also take the first set to be planed tomorrow. This time, I'm not doing everything by hand, I will let machines do some of the hard work for me!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Hmmm, here's a thought, I may try my hand at making my own pick ups as well... as yet, undecided. I will sleep on it.

1 person likes this.
  12. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

I had a busy day today, so didn't get much done on the guitars. Seeing as I am basically making 2 identical guitars, I will mostly just post pics on only one, unless I decide to make them different...

13. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Today I got that thick mahogany plank split, so it is now perfect to make 2 necks. I wanted to get my blanks planed, but tragedy struck, the hardware store reckons that they can't plane my planks, because I want too much taken off. The ash is 50 mm and needs to come down to 35 mm, the maple is 25 mm and needs to come down to 10 mm. (This is the same place that did it for me last time, so I don't know what's different this time.)
    Now, I need to make a plan, it will take for ever to take that much material off with a belt sander! I'm thinking I may rout the body cavities, then sand down the extra material. I will have to think of some smart plan when I get to the maple tops...
    I suppose I could also hunt around for some wood working company with a plane...
    In the mean time, I've sanded the blanks, so they're not so rough, and drawn a rough outline of the body and cavities. I need to decide if I'm going to use 2 humbuckers, or 1 humbucker and 1 standard tele pickup before I get stuck in with the router...
    Unfortunately, I won't be doing much guitar building this week end, as My wife is away for the week end, and I have to entertain the kids... it's not exactly their idea of an awesome time watching me working with wood...
    So, until Monday, cheers, have a good weekend.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. emoney

emoney Senior Member

You should find someone that can "resaw" those boards. Matter of fact, from what you're
    sharing, it sounds like you could get two tops out of the Maple that way.

2 people like this.
  15. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Its easier said than done, although it would be first prize! Then I could book match the planks, and have matching grain on both sides.
    I will have to talk to a few local joiners and find someone with a band saw, in a mood to help me out.:fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  16. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Hooray! All hardware ordered, now the waiting game... It will probably all arrive while I'm at work, so there will be some nice parcels waiting for me when I get home. I've ordered from a couple of different sources, and got some really entry level pick ups, for something to put in while I decide if I actually want to make my own or not. I've found plenty of tutorials on how to do it, so am seriously thinking about it. The main issue will be sourcing the correct wire locally, I think. All other materials are readily available. The other issue is the ridiculous shipping costs to South Africa. Most items cost half of the shipping charge!!!
    Any way, tomorrow is monday, wife is at work, kids at school, so, after a crazy number of chores, I can get back to the twin teles...

17. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Greetings! I haven't made very much progress as I've had a lot going on lately. All I've managed to do is stick the neck patterns on the wood, ready for marking and cutting. I also tried to find a joiner or cabinet maker to sort out the over thick blanks for me, but am having no joy. The bodies are no issue, I can rout them and sand down the extra thickness later, but the tops are going to be chaos! I'm now considering building arch tops like the one in the photo...

Attached Files:

18. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

Today, all I've managed to get done is to mark up the 2 blanks for cutting. Last time I fought the wood with a hammer and chisel and hand saw, this time I will use a jig-saw to do the rough work. I will go get myself a couple of good blades, and hopefully it will cut straight... Hopefully tomorrow afternoon, I will have some good progress.
    Unfortunately, I have been called back to work, so Friday will be my last day to work on the guitars for the next 2 months. :wow: :shock:

Attached Files:

19. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Looking great!!!

I know how it feels to have work get in the way of building. I do suggest making your own pickups if you can. Even winding literally by hand can yield some interesting results, although it does take a rather long time! :shock:

20. quintinsnell

quintinsnell Member

After a long break, I got to work. Bodies and tops are shaped. I have finished hand carving the openings in one top and have made one neck. I'm not happy with the fretboard radius, so started the second neck. When the body is ready for it, I will install the neck without frets and see how it feels. If it's ok, I will install the frets and use it, but I think I will scrap the fret board and make anoither. I may scrap the entire neck.

Attached Files:

paulmarr likes this.