Quick review of the Seismic 2x12 Cab (many photos)

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Malikon, May 23, 2013.

1. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

Sorry to start another thread on it, but when I was researching them I had a hard time finding good reviews or pics so I figured it should be done.

I ordered this last weekend and it arrived yesterday, (wednesday.) $179. shipped.

I'd been pricing and checking out Cabs for a couple weeks and my only real concern was that it was a closed back and made of Birch. (because Don/ST said to get Birch.)

Well,...the shipping co was pretty dang rough on it..

[​IMG]

Box took a beating. Wouldn't have been bad except...

[​IMG]

The stryo they ship with is incredibly thin. :(

Cab corner went right through it...

[​IMG]

Which of course slightly dented and chipped the corner guards...

[​IMG]

Glad they're metal or they'd be broken. I'm really surprised Seismic chose to ship it this way,...but then again shipping was free,..so...

The Cab does look nice. And it feels sturdy like I could jump up and down on it. Obviously it took some hard hits in shipping but the Cab is still rock solid. No creaking or loose feeling parts or anything. It's very solid feeling.

[​IMG]

Sadly they seem to Krazy Glue their Logo directly through the grill cloth and onto the wood behind it.

[​IMG]

It's not coming off without tearing the grill cloth apart. The grill cloth is also slightly crooked and all pulls towards the logo/upper right corner. Again,..not the end of the world,..is what it is.

Solid wood holding the grill cloth together...
    [​IMG]

Seems reasonably well built...
    [​IMG]

Came with the wires installed and with the slip-on connectors already installed. Nice!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good rubber feet, and the tolex was flawless. I had to look for a couple minutes to find the seam, and then it took a few tries before I was able to get it on camera.
    [​IMG]

Not a big Tolex fan, but I was actually really impressed how tight and well done it is. And that the seam was hard to find.

Solid handles...
    [​IMG]

Pre-wired...
    [​IMG]

Came with the speaker mount screws and the mounts installed (rear mounted)
    [​IMG]

..and just because I was curious...
    [​IMG]

So is it worth $179.? Yeah I think so.

Obviously I can't say how it sounds yet, but it's solid, deep, a good size, closed back. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't sound good.

So now that I have a good shell my plan is to customize it. I want to rip off the grill and put something Victorian looking and bizarre in it's place,..something like...

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Something that never in a million years would people be expecting Metal/Blues to be coming out of.

And I'll most likely tear off the Tolex, sand it a bit (I have a feeling there's gonna be glue residue) and stain it a very, very dark red,...maybe so dark it almost looks black.

My goal is pretty much to make it look like a piece of old furniture.

This will go well with the way I look I think :thumb:

[​IMG]

I really want to thank Don/Soul Tramp for starting me off on this little adventure.

I wasn't sure what to think when he first contacted me, but I'm so glad I decided to listen to what he had to say.

True Gentlemen, total class.

Thanks Don and thanks to MyLesPaul for making it possible. :applause:

LPCollector, Rhust and jay1williams like this.
  2. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

Thanks for this review - I have been looking for a 2x12 cab, and their price is hard to beat - especially with the free shipping...

3. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Crazy. I like it.

Will you build a new baffle?
    This would look sick.

[​IMG]

But, fabric like that might muffle the tone. As in Fender Champion 600 RI V2.0 :)

4. Malikon

Yeah.

I must admit I've never 'fabric shopped' before. :laugh2:

It's going to be an adventure finding something that will breath and let air through, but still have the look I want.

5. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Senior Member

How about if you get it silk-screened on the tolex? From a few feet away it might not be too noticeable.

1 person likes this.
  6. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Mal, this is a very good point and real concern. The wrong type of cloth could end up filtering certain frequencies. Going to be trial and error.

CAUTION! Can you post a closeup of how the wires are connected to the jackplate? I can't tell if each of the colored pair wires are connected to each other. Meaning, are both red connected together and both blacks connected together? This will determine the ohm load of the speakers.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

their prices were beyond belief, and since I hadn't read many good reviews on it I decided to pass...

maybe their early build quality was suspect, but that does not look like a sub $200 cabinet. that looks like a solid buy for the most part...

for the grill, you could go something like a steampunk kinda thing and have an artistically cut out metal grill laser cut black metal with a white grill cloth backing...

something like this but not quite as blingy:

[​IMG]

8. So What

So What Senior Member

You may want to consider the hand painted look too.

I'm sure you know someone who can do a good job at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Malikon

hahaha,

all these photos Don and I have been looking at and talking over for months. :laugh2: We've been looking at lots of furniture. :thumb:

MB the tolex will be removed, only the grill will have a Victorian pattern. The cab will just get stained.

I tried not to sugar coat or anything. I wanted it to be a very fair and balanced overlook of the purchase. Kind of what I wished I'd found when I was looking for a review myself.

It's obviously not perfect. But the little things don't bug me because it just insured that I'd go through with the Custom ideas.

For the price paid and having it in like 3 days? I'm not complaining.

Don I'll get you a closeup of the internal wiring right away.

2 people like this.
  10. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Senior Member

Sorry Mal, I meant the grill.

11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yea, I felt like the other "reviews" I read about these cabs were comparing them to bogner cabs or DR. Z... reviewing a 'cheap' cab through the eyes of expecting perfection... so I stayed away... not knowing what to expect.

I'd say this looked better than I expected at $200

12. Malikon

Here's the page I ordered from if you're interested in specs or anything.

Empty 2x12 Guitar Cabinet | Black Tolex guitar cabinet | Wheat Cloth removable Grill | Modern Look 212 Guitar Cab

Like I said it's not 'super awesome perfection'...but it's a cab,..it's going to get a little beat up anyway.

If I'd paid like $500.? idk.

less then $200.?

...almost feel like I stole something. I was just going to build one to the specs Don gave me, but this ended up being cheaper. (especially because it didn't take any time to 'build' ) and was very close to the specs Don asked for.

...course I still cleared it with 'The Man' first. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  13. Soul Tramp

Looks like a reasonable cab to me. A few thoughts:

1) Internal bracing is on the thin side
    2) Might be a good idea to run a bead of wood glue around all the bracing.
    3) Back panel screws should have shoulders
    4) Speaker cutouts look a bit (but not real bad) rough
    5) Grill cloth is not square
    6) May need acoustic insulation

But I think it's a great deal at $179 shipped!

1 person likes this.
  14. Malikon

the speaker cuts look a bit rough, but part of that is the tolex cut isn't perfect in the circle, and the 'busted' looking part on the side of the circle is the mount on the inside.

I can do the wood glue thing.

Not quite sure what #3 means?

yeah, grill cloth needs to get yanked. And I want that plastic chrome logo gone. It looks,.....cheap. Idk, I don't like it.

I debadge a lot of my amps. (not yours though, of course.)

Pics should be in your PM box in a second.

1 person likes this.
  15. Soul Tramp

Shoulders are the trim rings that sit between the screw head and the wood. They spread the load so the head doesn't pull into the wood/tolex. Look at the back of the Tremor and you'll see what I mean.

16. Malikon

ahh, Got it.

17. Soul Tramp

Damn, that thing is hideous! There's cool, there's steampunk, there's retro, there's vintage, and then there's that thing.

Looks like the car Homer designed in one of the Simpson episodes.

18. Malikon

yeah, it has nice elements. (like the gold scroll up top and the wood figuring.)

But it's a bit much,....maybe a bit more then a bit.

But I bet whoever built it loves it and it's exactly what they wanted.

And that's all that matters.

(I think you had the exact same reaction when I first showed you that pic.) :laugh2:

19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

hahahaha all of it together is a bit much... but I was just pointing out the metal grill... take that piece, and put a light color grill cloth behind it... maybe with a spacer to allow shadows... and your grill cloth would really stand out...

here's more details:
    Custom Guitar Amp,Speaker Cabinets,guitar amplifier,amp, cabinets,custom built amplifier cabinets,Boutique cabinets,Exotic Hardwoods,Pearl Inlays,Steampunk,Austin,High-End,Will Cascio,Bob Epstein,Heavy Magic Soulfilled Sound Machines,African Bubinga,

20. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Great deal . I like mine