Questions about Weber 100 watt JCM800 build

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Cjsinla, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Weber has a 10% off sale this weekend and that would put their 8CM100 kit at about $500.

Does anyone have any experience with this kit? I notice that it comes with a couple of variations. You have the choice of four EL34 tubes or two KT88 tubes. What are the pros and cons of the two different configurations and tube types? There is also an option for different OT, one with high headroom and one with low headroom.

I'm leaning towards getting one with EL34's and the low headroom OT. Any thoughts?

2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I bet it would sound amazing.
    My 50w 800 (2204) is my lifetime amp.
    The touch and dynamics of that amp, along with its fire breathing ferocity, make it a single channel amp with no equal.
    I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    I'm gonna build a 6v6 version someday.
    Speakers are very important, and what works best depends on what you want to do.
    I've got WGS Vet 30's in mine and love them.

Cjsinla likes this.
  3. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I was actually looking to build a 2204 clone but all the kits I found were about twice the price of the Weber kit, in the $1000 range. I can buy a used Marshall 2204 head for that kind of money. The funny thing is that the 8CM100 Weber kit is one of the cheapest kits they sell.

4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Regarding JCM800 pricing. I have purchased late 70s and early 80s JMP and JCM amps for less then $500. A few times in fact. Once I picked up a so called non working JCM800 that all it needed was a .10cent resistor. You can find stuff like that all the time. They are hardy amps and easy to fix.

I personally would never do an amp build. First off you will never know ultimately what it will sound like and when and if you sel it... you will have one he'll of a time finding a buyer. No question you will lose money too.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  5. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

@frankv You are right. But I wasn't so concerned about losing a few dollars so much as I wanted a project. I really don't need any more amps. In addition to a few Voxs and Fenders that I own I have a 2203 a 2204 and a Plexi RI. At present I'm not even playing out. Just amp GAS I guess.

Marshall & Moonshine and frankv like this.
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Amp gas? I use to get that all the time to the tune of 82 amps. Now I play a Fractal AXE FX2. Quite amazing gas killer.