Question to 2017 Standard owners about truss rod

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Aug 30, 2017.

1. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Adding to the gap vs no gap....there is as said variability. One of the reasons is that it is a fulcrum point between two planes on the guitar - you could have the ring flush at the bottom and not be able to avoid a gap at the top....and the way the guitar is put together was not with laser accuracy either.

With a total in the double figures of burst clones that I have made and play regularly, even with the 'same' woods the final guitars sound different. Hell I've had 2 adjacent amazonian rosewood fretboard blanks sawn from the same billet tap different tones. You therefore cannot make the huge leap of attributing the overall tone merely to a tiny change.....

2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

And it could be new strings.
    Have you measured the saddle - bridge pickup pole piece on your other three Historics? Are the measurements different between the 2017 and the earlier years?

3. Natural1

Natural1 Premium Member

This is interesting. I just did that... the 2017 is only slightly farther away from the saddle than the average on the others... two of them are 2/32 farther away, and the other is only 1/32. So, with my limited sample size the 2017 is definitely closer to the saddle, but by something slightly less than 2/32. That's less than half the gap between neck pickup ring and fretboard, so nowhere near the 10% difference based on the gap - more like 4%. Of course intonation settings are a little different on all of them too, but 4% isn't much, and I wouldn't think it would be audible.

Maybe it is the strings...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    BBD likes this.
  4. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Thanks for checking. <1/16" is within manufacturing tolerances for pickup placement and will have no discernible effect on the bridge pickup tone, so yes, maybe it really is the new strings. Always worth checking stuff like this and putting numbers to it though.