Question to 2017 Standard owners about truss rod

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

In this thread, one forum member made an assumption that the new 2017 Custom Shop Standard Les Pauls might have wood that's not dry enough and a tighter truss rod to compensate for that:

Could owners of the 2017 CS Standards comment on that, given that they probably did truss rod adjustments?

2. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

Absolute load of rubbish. Using wood "not dry enough" equals a twisted neck and shrinkage problems as it dries, wear on tools, etc.......

PierM likes this.
  3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I've heard that 2017 Standards CS are made out of mangrove wood and has chambers filled with Bonamassa farts.

4. Andy California

But that's doesn't mean that necks start twisting and shrinking right away. So I'm wary of this sort of thing might starting to happen several years later.

5. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

They simply would never, ever use wood not dried properly. People dream stuff up, type it with 0 knowledge, then start rumours.

6. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Rubbish.

7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.........we're in for some neck snapping fun in this Thread. :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers2:

8. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Actually twisting can happen before the guitar leaves the factory. As soon as full tension on the neck will cause noticeable warpage within a few hours or days. Truss rod adjustment will not help.

9. PierM

PierM Premium Member

So you are basically asking people to assume something speculating on top of an another assumption (BS)...and come to a conclusion about something that might be starting to happen several years after 2017....

https://www.indy100.com/article/nostradamus-predictions-2017-astrology-7509551

10. Natural1

Natural1 Premium Member

I have 4 recent historics (2014-2017) and my 2017 "Standard" R7 has the most stable neck of the bunch. It literally stays in tune for days.

Is it "brighter" or "snappier" than the others?... in fact it is, just slightly. However, there is a good reason for this. Just look at the position of the pickup routes on these new guitars. There's a slight gap at the fretboard and both the neck and bridge pickups are shifted closer to the bridge. This is mine...

EDIT: This one weighs 8lb 1oz, has a .90->1.0 neck, and isn't neck heavy at all. I have also adjusted the truss rod and it doesn't feel any tighter than the rest of them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  11. BBD

BBD Senior Member

It's cobblers, Andy. Just concentrate on finding the right one for you and never mind the bollocks.

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I don't know who on earth was making that post, but that is honestly the biggest load of idiocy I think I've seen in a long time. Quite literally every assumption and opinion there is made from a position of mindless ignorance.
    It would be no joke to say that whichever that poster is, that they should be wholly ignored from now on.....

BBD, mudface and PierM like this.
  13. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Come on Mr Randall let's give this guy a couple of more posts before we hang him by his nards:laugh2:. Sometimes a little information used poorly in a question can be harmful to those doing so.:D

14. Andy California

No, I was asking people who actually own the 2017 guitars whether the assumption is BS.
    And I got a response:

15. Andy California

Are these two things still considered "historically correct"?

16. BBD

BBD Senior Member

I believe they are, although I might be mistaken. What I am rather more sure about is that moving the pickups bridgeward by a couple of millimeters will not have a detectable effect on tone.

17. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Historically correct is that some have a gap and some don't, therefore both would be accurate. You should do a little research and you will discover that the original "bursts" were not spot on identical to each other, much less the pickups wound identical to each other, or the finish. Many attributes vary with these guitars so don't get hung up on the details, it's about what the instrument does for you that's important.

18. Natural1

Natural1 Premium Member

For the neck pickup, I agree. It's too far from the bridge to make any real difference.

For the bridge pickup though, it's already pretty close to the anchor point and moving it closer has to decrease the amplitude a bit. I just took a look at mine and the gap is right at 1/8", and the saddle to pickup pole piece is 1 1/8" on the high E string. Without that gap the distance would be 1 1/4" (or 10/8ths). So, that gap at the fretboard reduces the distance from the bridge pickup to the bridge by about 10%. Is that enough to make it audible? I really don't know, but the amplitude has to decrease to 0 in just over an inch (at the saddle). It seems to me that a 10% reduction might be audible.

I think it certainly has the potential to impact tone more than titebond vs hide glue.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  19. PierM

PierM Premium Member

The Nut to Poles distance is affecting the tone, since it's a different focus under the strings. Few millimeters are probably making a very very very minimal difference...Point is guitars are a complex mix of variables, so unless you don't A/B two conditions, on top of the same guitar, you will never know if the snap is because of the different pole focus (I don't think so), or because the nut and/or the bridge, has better and cleaner slots... or because of the strings, or whatever. :)

If not measurable and replicable, it's unicorn science. :)

mudface likes this.
  20. mudface

mudface Senior Member

All this guitar stuff is Unicorny,.........is that a word?......it is now.:D

PierM likes this.