Question Re: Speakers for 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by GySgtFTL, Oct 18, 2017.

1. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

I recently acquired a Mather 2x12 empty cabinet and have decided to go ahead and load it. I know that I want one of the speakers to be the Celestion Alnico Gold. The other one I'm still kicking around. But I am considering the Celestion G12H-75 Creamback. The Creamback is rated at 75 watts while the Gold is rated at 50 watts.
    Will this be an issue while using a 30 watt head?
    I assume that as long as both speakers have the same ohms (8) and that the sensitivity or decibel rating is the same, it all boils down to preference...?
    Is there anything to avoid here or perhaps something that I'm missing?

For you fellows who have done this I appreciate the sharing of the wisdom.

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

No, your Cab will be good for 100W being calculated as 2 x the lowest power Speaker.

All Speakers must be the same Ohms & be within 2-3dB efficiency of each other.

Good luck.

:cheers2:

Thumpalumpacus, OBX351 and GySgtFTL like this.
  3. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

The power ratings will not present an issue. You'd be fine with either set. What type of sounds are you going for? I had a 2x12 with H75 Creambacks, and they're sounded great dirty, but I didn't love then for cleans. I personally love broken-in Vintage 30's (not everyone does). They offer me the balance I want - aggressive enough for hard rock, and clear enough for cleans. I imagine the alnico speakers could be a nice set to bridge the gap, but I have never used them.

4. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I also like broken in V30's. :thumb:

:cheers2:

alstev likes this.
  5. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

C-Blues!!!!!!!!!!!! Best sounding modern speakers you can buy! If not take the same money and get a pulsonic pair of 75hz....I did it with this combo and it kills. I believe it is a 70 or 71 g12m. I did the same thing for a 4x12 bough a matching set of 72 g12ms for less than the cost of new speakers. Nothing sounds like a pulsonic.
    JTM45 combo back 71 celes.jpg marshalls and bruno and combo.jpg
    grass cloth semi-open back .jpg

RAG7890 likes this.
  6. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Depends on the head you're going to use. In my experience H75s are wicked with plexi-style amps, but not so much with Fenders.