Question on modern modeling amps

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by kfowler8, Nov 3, 2017.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

That was great! Very informative and exactly what I was looking for.

What's you guys thoughts on new vs. used with these systems? One, it looks like there's very little depreciation for used ones. Ones I've seen have only been several hundred dollars off new. Not like they're half the cost of new. Second, I'm always a little hesitant about buying used electronics. It's not like you can take a broken one to an amp tech.

2. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

So Kemper has designed their own digital info that is then input to a particular amp, mic'd, analyzed and a profile of the amps tonal qualities are created. Is that close?

3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

4. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

Basically that is it. Kemper outputs known test signals and compares it to what it receives back. It is then a simple mathematical transform to determine the processing the rig is producing.

5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Only distinction is the profile is a "picture" of the amp at its present settings. From what I've read anyway.

6. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

That is correct. However, there are many parameters that you can adjust in addition to the EQ to further shape the tone and response of the profile. In other words, you are not locked into the profile as it was recorded.

7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Although it is already well covered; AX8 owner. Most definitely each guitar has its own voice. Even on the Fender Mustang I had, different guitars and different pickups each had their own voice. You almost have to be careful not to tweek a model too much for a specific guitar. Or save a bank of models for each individual guitar.

Last week I was playing an LP with lightly overdriven "natural" amp tones. This week it has been the Firebird with full size humbuckers doing heavily fuzzed and overdriven tones. Today, I plugged in the ES 330 and was like, WTF?!?!? and needed to rethink my strategy because it was so different sounding and reacting. It excels at cleaner volumes and lower powered amp models. I was trying to jump right into heavy fuzz and 100 watt British style models. That said, you can play the 330 for days on the low powered vintage fender models and splash on all the reverb and tremolo you can stand and it is glorious.

8. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I bought second hand. The money saved will be spent on some amp profiles. And over here, many of the Kemper models are sold out anyways.