Question on 50's style circuitry

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Pickens Slim, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Pickens Slim

Pickens Slim Member

I'm building a 50's style harness for a 335 clone.
    I built it and tested it and when I plugged it in it blew my amp.
    Could be a coincidence. I have a question though

Looking at the diagrams, because the wire to the pickup connects to the center lug where the capacitor is, it looks like the pickup can never be taken completely out of the circuit, just another 500k of added resistance to it.

Is this correct. The reason that I ask is that I always have a closed circuit to the center lug of the switch even when the switch is open.

The pots test OK, I've re-wired and put heat shrink tubing over each lug of the pots so I can't see the possibility of a short.

Thanks,

Eric

2. Papa

Papa Senior Member

The capacitor connects to the same lug as the switch in 50's wiring.
    They both connect to the center lug for "50's dependent".
    They both connect to the outer lug for "50's independent".

Pickup to center lug with capacitor is "Modern Independent".

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4555-post2.html

Not saying it's impossible, but...
    In any case, I don't see how it would blow your amp.

Papa

3. martin6string

martin6string Premium Member V.I.P. Member

As Papa already mentioned, on the volumes, the center lug gets the cap lead and switch lead. The open lug gets the pickup hot lead.

I can imagine any possible reason that the wiring harness would blow your amp.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pickens Slim

Pickens Slim Member

I didn't think that the wiring could do it either. Just a coincidence. I wanted to ask before I blow out my remaining amp :shock:

My wiring looks correct according to the wiring diagrams that I found in the library. Switch and cap to the center lug of the volume. Pickup to the switch, other lug to ground plane.

The other leg of the cap goes to the hot lug of the tone control. Center lug to of tone control to ground plane.

Attached Files:

5. Papa

Papa Senior Member

Pickens Slim,

Can't tell real well from the pics but, I'm not seeing anything that stands out as being wrong.
    If you're worried about blowing another amp....take it to a local G.C. and tell them you might want to replace a blown amp.
    Tell them you want to see what your guitar would sound like through some of their amps.

Kidding?

Papa

6. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

There are only passive voltages from the pickups in a guitar's wiring - it's not possible to damage an amp in this way. It must be a coincidence.

7. Pickens Slim

Pickens Slim Member

Heard back from the amp repair place. Cracked solder joints on the tube socket. Should be covered under warranty. So it's was a coincidence.

The harness is installed. I'm still setting up the guitar and learning how to use the controls. But it sounds good to my ears.

Thanks for the replys.

1 person likes this.