[Question] Lemon Bursts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Thiago, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

Hello good people,

I put that on the tittle so I don't troll anyone to believe it's a build thread and get disappointed by no pictures at all.

Lemon Bursts are a type of finish or are they faded finishes?
    Being faded, which one would get to it? Or any burst would get to it?
    If I buy a brand new Standard, are there any ageing methods to accelerate the fading?

I want a lemon (cherry back and yellowed maple top) but as far as my searches went the only way to get one is at least paying a lot on a Historic or Reissue which I'm not able to afford right now.

Thank you very much already!

2. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

Not faded, unless it's original. Like from the 50's referred to in BOTB as lemondrops.
    Gibson uses an enhancement technique to make the flame 'pop' a little more.

The newer guitars will not fade at near the same rate as original standards.

1 person likes this.
  3. melomanarock

melomanarock Senior Member

The Lemon burst is a denomination that was put on those original burst that got almost completly faded. Just as the honey burst, Ice tea, etc. Any burst with fadeable dyes would get to it.

Nowadays it is a factory reproduced type of finish that you can get in a brand new guitar of the RI type.

I believe that Standards don't use fadeable dyes so you can't put a new standard to fade. The closest would be a trans amber or maybe buy one as cheap as you can and get it refinished.

2 people like this.
  4. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

Thank you guys, thank you very much.
    I believe what you've already said pretty much answers my doubts but any more input on the subject will be much aprecciated.
    Any techniques on how to age/fade a top without having to refinish it would be very cool!

6. dougk

dougk Senior Member

I loves me a lemon burst
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do a lot of them. :D

Your best bet is to just find one, you won't likely get what you want trying to fade a new LP to that point.

1 person likes this.