Question: Installing Fender LSR Roller Nut

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by OldYeller, Mar 27, 2017.

1. OldYeller

OldYeller Junior Member

I have an old Teisco guitar I've been working on and doing little mods for a while as a hobby. It's very similar to a Gibson SG, same style nut / headstock, 24.75" scale length.

Now I purchased a Fender LSR roller nut. The instructions it came with are written for Fender style nuts, which I guess are thinner and further down in the fretboard compared to the Gibson style, so normally the LSR wouldn't fit at all and fretboard material would have to be removed.

This doesn't seem to be the case for me, as far as I can measure, the LSR is going to fit like a glove into the current nut slot. Is there any reason why I would have to remove fretboard material at all, other than to make it fit?
    Can the roller nut go into the same place as the current nut? Or does it have to be moved further down to compensate for something, like it would have if it was a Fender neck?

2. OldYeller

OldYeller Junior Member

I think this thread needs to be moved to the Luthier's Corner

3. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

The only reason to remove material from the fretboard would be if it sat too high to get the action you desire. So long as you only remove material under or behind the begin of the nut you will be fine for intonation.