Question for the Experts :)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by theArk0s, Aug 27, 2007.

1. theArk0s

theArk0s Junior Member

Hey guys - long time reader, first-time poster.

I've had this guitar for quite some time, but never really got around to trying to figure out any details about it (when it was made, where, etc.) as I've just had fun playing it. The fact that Epiphone/Gibson are releasing some new silverburst Les Paul's got me interested, but I was pretty quickly confused by my guitar, as nothing on it appears standard as far as I can tell.

There is no serial number stamped into the back of the headstock, nor are there any clear markings inside the body (other than the number "19" in a circle, and the time of 4:50...both written in what appears to be Sharpie ink inside by the controls. The pots and hardware all seem pretty original, but nothing has any really clear markings that have given me any more insight. The body is Mahogany, the fretboard is rosewood.

I've personally owned the guitar for about 15 years now, and it pretty much looked exactly the same when I got it (used).

Any ideas whatsoever on what exactly this thing is (other than in need of a good shine)?

Front
    [​IMG]

Front - Body Detail
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

Headstock
    [​IMG]

Headstock Logo Detail
    [​IMG]

Binding (Note it's pulled away from the body a bit here)
    [​IMG]

Bridge Detail
    [​IMG]

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

2. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I haven't seen an Epi headstock like that since the old days... Epiphone had to stop copying the moustache headstock because Gibson was worried people were confusing Epiphone and Gibson models *which were the same model types for the most part*.

No serial number eh? I think Epiphone used stickers for their serials, and probably still does so it may have gotten tossed somewhere before you got it.

Personally, I love the silverburst. The original Gibsons weren't that popular at the time they came out because people said the metallic attributes in the paint altered the tone in a way they didn't like... But then 20 years later, Adam Jones of Tool used one exclusively and it sounded great, and *in my opinion* rekindled interest in the model.

Beautiful guitar you've got there! I'll dig around online and see if I can find out more for you.

3. theArk0s

theArk0s Junior Member

Yeah...I love this guitar, always have. I've always gotten great comments on the silverburst color and haven't really seen it around much (until the new re-issues, that is). I kinda liked the fact that it was relatively unique.

I appreciate the feedback - definitely let me know if you can dig up any info. :)

4. Inside Guy

Inside Guy I am no longer @ Gibson V.I.P. Member

One thing I can say is that it's not American made.

This is likely an Early to mid 80's Epiphone made in Japan or Korea.

If you can, Post some pics of the truss rod cavity, control cavity, and pickup cavities. That would help narrow it down too.

5. theArk0s

theArk0s Junior Member

OK - here are some more shots of the guitar & internals. I didn't do a shot of the pickup cavity yet since I just re-strung the thing and want to bang on the strings a bit more before I yank them off. Let me know if you need a shot of the cavity to help with the analysis and I'll just re-string it sooner vs. later.

switch hole
    [​IMG]

truss rod (never removed this cover before...but I'm assuming the "19" here matches the circled "19" in the wiring cavity)
    [​IMG]

wiring (note the circled "19" and the time of 4:50...if those mean anything)
    [​IMG]

A note on the wiring: Yeah - it's a little bit of a mess, probably not 100% factory. Looks like some changes were made, and I know in the very least the input jack had to be replaced. Despite the somewhat ugly job here and there, though...it sounds fantastic.

6. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Well I am fairly well convinced its either Chinese or Philllippines in origin, Not a Jap Epi, Japanese dont steal from each other , Both the Chinese and Filapinos are highly adept at making passible copies , Filapinos will copy anything successful that sells, having been there numerous times and seen other service guys buy a " Gibson" for 120 Pesos on the main drag of Olongapo City ( outside the gates of the former Subic Bay Naval Base) while on a heavy drunk , you wound up seeing alot of these
    Just my two cents

7. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

thats an unlicensed copy made around 70s to early 90s the company that makes them probably got sued and no longer exists like canora that made gibson copies and got sued not they don't exist anymore.

keep it in good nick, keep it until you get a collector who knows what their on about and has the cash. if you can get another guitar and just keep that in its case it's worth a fair bit if i had the cash id buy it off you i was lucky enough to get a canora from just before they went out of business.

8. mike newport

mike newport Senior Member

Those Silverburst's remind me of Fender's Antigua's..m

9. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

It's a cool finish!