Question - Are ON-ON switches and ON-NONE-ON switches the same thing.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by gregggyf, Feb 23, 2014.

1. gregggyf

gregggyf Senior Member

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if ON-ON and ON-NONE-ON are two notated ways of referring to the same type of switch?

While I am at it, if applicable, could someone please tell me the differences between:

1) ON-ON
    2) ON-NONE-ON
    3) ON-OFF-ON

Thank you again.

Greg

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

2 and 3 have a position in the middle that is OFF, or in other words NONE of the lugs have contact.

3. MaceRider

MaceRider Senior Member

ON-ON means you have 2 positions, each one activating a circuit and turning the other off.

ON-NONE-ON means you have 3 positions, the outer ones activating 1 circuit, while the middle position deactivates both.

4. gregggyf

gregggyf Senior Member

Thank you for your responses.

Maybe I should pose the question in a way that would have a direct application to my use.

For the purposes of using an ON-ON DPDT as an Out of Phase switch, what would I hear/or what is happening in the middle position of the following switches:
    1. ON-OFF-ON
    2. ON-NONE-ON

Maybe the middle position on any of those two switches would act as some sort of KILL switch?

Also, would any of the two types of switches above be able to function properly as an Out of Phase switch? Or is the ON-ON the only configuration to correctly perform as an Out of Phase?

Thank you again for your responses.

Greg

5. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Banned

1. nothing.. or just dead possibly some hum. any position. IF wired as a Phase switch that is.
    2. out of phase/in phase. provided that by ON/NONE/ON you mean ON/ON with NO position in the middle. which is why its important to refer to switches as DPDT or SPDT or DPST etc etc.

6. BaBa Booey

BaBa Booey Senior Member

The 79 Custom I just acquired has a 2 position phase switch... On or off. I only hear it in the middle position. The guitar wasn't touched for a while. It has a period Duncan Custom 4 conductor in the bridge and the stock neck pickup.

I've got a little job ahead of me... Have to drill and add a ground wire to the bridge for starters.

I'm going with a Nailbomb/Cold Sweat for my pickups.

Is there a way to coil split the bridge and neck and still utilize the phase switch as it is? Doesn't the phase switch and push pull need the same wire from the pickup?

I'm thinking I might be better off just getting a JP harness and use the phase switch hole and put a kill switch in there or something.

Too many options!

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

A coil split will need a different switch to OOP. You can still split a pickup that is connected to an oop switch......just realise that the position of the oop switch will change which coil the split goes to.

8. shrimpman

shrimpman Junior Member

Signed up just to correct the misinformation here.

ON-NONE-ON is the same as ON-ON

It has 2 positions, NOT 3, as the above posters claim. It's counter-intuitive.

ON-OFF-ON has 3 positions.