Question about Reborn ls50 circuit board

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by therealfrogman, May 16, 2018 at 9:31 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealfrogman

therealfrogman Premium Member

I have one of these on its way to me and it is a 1979 and it has the circuit board assembly in the pot cavity. I am not familiar with these but the application seems obvious enough to me, just curious why? Is there some reason Tokai did this? I cannot think of any practical purpose for them as the wiring is pretty simple.

My recent OBG purchase was a complete screw-job and that guitar will be headed back to Japan on Friday... I am an absolute idiot for buying it but my desire for these MIJ Les Pauls is overwhelming and I have no control of myself sometimes.

I hope this ls50 is more pleasing and the seller seems very honest.

2. villager

villager Senior Member

ditch the circuit board for a decent set of 500k pots and some real caps and you will have a decent guitar...

Boyinblack likes this.
  3. therealfrogman

Okay, that is exactly what I will do. Thank you!

4. geddy

geddy Senior Member

Using a board simplifies manufacture and assembly and makes no difference to the sound

wulfman and dc007 like this.
  5. villager

villager Senior Member

really? 250>300k pots make no difference? and shitty caps?

MauiCliff likes this.
  6. therealfrogman

I might as well ask now about pot values. Do I use 500k for volume and tone? I have some .047 pio style caps in my parts drawer and I usually just use orange drops for my fenders but my LP knowledge is just beginning.

7. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

I have, according to the serial number, a 1978 LS50. Still bone stock to my knowledge. It does have the circuit board in tact with the 250k pots and tiny little caps. I think the guitar sounds great. Never been a fan of the smaller frets. The LS50 models from those years replicated a 1958 Les Paul based on the research I have done. The smaller frets are consistent with that claim. What is different is the neck profile. More of a smallish 59 profile although with a little shoulder. If you change out the pots and caps it may be for the better or it may not so be prepared to possibly upgrade the pups as well. The cap value for all my humbucker guitars is a 0.22 on the bridge pup and .015 on the neck pup but lots of folks use .022 on both. Trust your ears.

wulfman likes this.
  8. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I had Jonsey build me a 50's wiring harness with CTS 550k pots with Emerson PIO caps for my 79 LS50. That guitar is now having tje headstock repaired as I accidentally knocked it over and it sustained a headstock crack.

While its being repaired I'm having the Luthier install the wiring harness and the Fatboy Super Dry Z clones I bought from Wolfman a few months back.

http://www.jonesyblues.com/

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 4:35 AM
    dc007 likes this.
  9. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I've never tried an early Tokai but I would like to one day. I would be concerned about neck thickness and weight. Pickups and circuit boards can easily be swapped out.

10. therealfrogman

This one is 8.7 lbs and I am all over the place when it comes to necks so I really did not give it much thought. dc007 says in a response above that on his the frets are like the old style les pauls... Did not give that much thought either but the pics I based my purchase on look to be medium jumbo like my other lp's. My epi lq is 8.6lbs and my eg 59/60 is 8.9, all right in my range of happy.. I do fret jobs on my own guitars so if I want I can change for less than 30 usd and many many hours.....maybe a dr. pepper too!

dc007 likes this.
  11. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

The old circuit board is what it is. Its just something Tokai used to do.

Still likely a very good guitar. Just swap the circuit board out for a new harness, pots and caps etc and it will sound even better.

12. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Sort of... While that'd be perfectly true if Tokai used good caps and pots in the circuit board design, that isn't the case here. I completely agree with you though in regards to PCB design - hand-wired amps that use literally the same components as their PCB counterparts are a waste of money.

geddy and wulfman like this.
  13. therealfrogman

Anyone want to post pics of your ls50 please feel free..

14. scott 351 wins

I'd say the neck on mine is similar to a 1960 LP not very fat but not too thin either, definitely not a 59 profile.

My LS50 Thread;

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/i-just-joined-the-vintage-tokai-lp-club.384582/

15. therealfrogman

16. therealfrogman

9758FEF5-B458-4507-AB49-1A068D8BC267.png
    I am reading the other thread but here is a pic of mine...

Scott, I would have freaked if I had to wait for the eBay seller like that....

scrumm21 and scott 351 wins like this.
  17. scott 351 wins

I was freaking!! I think he might of bought the guitar from over seas and was waiting on it to arrive to his house.

You wont be disappointed about the LS50. I really like mine, I like the worn feeling of mine and it is a quality guitar despite it being the low model in the line up.

18. geddy

geddy Senior Member

The OP asked about the PCB, hence my response. Does changing pot values change the sound? Yes, but whether that is better is subjective.
    Define a ''shitty cap'. The cap composition impact on sound is raging in another thread but my view is there is little or no effect. Again, changing values will have an effect.

19. geddy

geddy Senior Member

I agree...I can't speak to the PCB quality. However, Ive had a 70s Aria LS450 since about 1978 with a PCB...it's fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.