Question about Fender Stratocaster 1991

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Herr Dalbergia, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Herr Dalbergia

Herr Dalbergia Senior Member

hello and good morning,

I would need some help and advise.

I have here an acoustic guitar, which I would like to trade, and now I got an offer for a 1991 fender Stratocaster. To be honest, I am not so much into fenders at all, but probably I would do the trade.

Problem, the guitar is quite far away and we would have to do the deal with shipping and an inspection before trading would be difficult. I do not know the other guy, but he seems very friendly.

I also think it is not so important to talk about the acoustic guitar, but with this fender I need to know that at least it is not a fake....or a cheap partscaster with some fake decals. Talking decals, does the fender font match with the year? I find only different pictures in the internet....fishy

It may has some issues, but I don’t care so much. Even if it needs a refret, I can do this easily myself.

What makes me wonder, the lacquer at the headstock looks like repainted for my eyes. The darker lines at the edge, this happens when somebody is doing an overspray with tainted laqucer and is applying to much...the neck looks quite low quality to me, also the fret wire looks more like Asian style.

But I am not sure....

Here the pictures I got, not good quality, that’s all I have, but for sure I can ask for better ones, I guess...

Also this Custom Shop neckmplate....wtf....and of course if someone’s wants to shoot out any idea of value you are highly welcome....

2. Herr Dalbergia

3. RicOkc

RicOkc Senior Member

Not a Custom Shop! I'm wondering if any of it is actually Fender.

The truss-rod access is common among Chinese made guitar necks. I've never seen a hum-bucking pickup that had a Custom Shop decal on it.

I'd run away from that one.

The_Nuge likes this.
  4. Herr Dalbergia

The more I look at it, and the more research I do, the more this screams FAKE

Why is there no skunk stripe? Why is the logo so much see through? I think more and more some one wants to rip me off....

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

That guitar is trying to be passed off as some type of Custom Shop Fender.

Things I see that are wrong

1) Fender CS Humbucker. Never seen anything like that befoe
    2) The Fender CS neckplate is fake
    3) The headstock decals are fake
    4) The serial number says it's a '91, but the serial numbers were still
    in the front of headstock back in '91
    5) The single coils don't look right to me either

Stay as far away from that guitar as you can.

6. Herr Dalbergia

Thank you for your comments, that’s extactly what I also saw on these pictures. Poor owner he told me he payed 560 bucks on eBay for it....

7. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

All of the above + the bridge also looks fake!