Question about clear lacquer.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Weldaar, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Not to sound dumb, but I am not that educated as far as finishes go. Does it really matter what brand of lacquer you use? Isn't all clear lacquer the same no matter what the brand is?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

No, not at all.

There are some (like deft) that continually never seem to dry properly.
    Some are much more 'pure' and they dry hard and tend to check/flake easily
    Others are designed for acoustic instruments so will move with the wood and not crack.

But they will all apply the same way and will melt into previous layers and stink to high heaven during curing.

Who and cooljuk like this.
  3. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

I have used Rustoleum Clear Lacquer several times now and it dries quick (like 20 minutes of course no sanding until 24 hours) But it has never flaked nor cracked for me. I am guessing that it likes guitars. :)

4. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

I've used the Minwax spray and brush on lacquer from Home Depot with good results. The Rustoleum lacquer never seemed to dry hard. My issue is that I don't have a good place to spray and I always seem to get contamination.

Another issue is the time required to let the solvents flash off so the lacquer can be wet sanded.

5. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Never tried the Minwax. Do they also make color lacquers as well?

6. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

7. Draxond

Draxond Member

The key word here is “nitrocellulose”. That’s a base chemical compound. All of them are usually made from the same stuff (the nitrocellulose ones, at least) but each company uses a different formulation. Usually, they tweak the solids loading, the manufacturing process, solvent types and ratios....all of that means two cans of the same stuff from different companies will react differently.

Then you get the organic solvent vs water differences...it’s all in the chemistry. And trust me, I’m a chemist (I never get to say that, but it is actually true).

Freddy G and Weldaar like this.
  8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Something ominous about that line ;)

WhiteEpiLP and Draxond like this.
  9. Draxond

Draxond Member

Just because I know how to make things go boom, doesn’t mean I necessarily want them to.

WhiteEpiLP likes this.
  10. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Not that I know of...the spray is clear and brush on too. I've taken the brush on and thinned it a little and added color to that for spraying.

11. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Very informative. I now know less than before. J/K Thanx for the input.

12. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

They do not make colored lacquer, I contacted them about it. Thanx for your reply.

13. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Take a 100 percent cotton handkerchief, put it in red fuming nitric acid, use about what... 10 or 15 percent sulphuric acid to pull the water out of things... Let dry. Then have your GF "iron it". Ahem.

Deft changed its formulation back in the early 2000's for GLOSS, and it was a pain in the butt to get fully hard. It stayed like dry gum, not sandable. The key was very very very light coats. The Deft SATIN (not MATT) would still dry ok, the last time I used it, and could be buffed out to a very realistic "old looking gloss" what was very pleasing.

Recently used the Minwax gloss, and it dried up nicely. Was sandable within a few hours, but... as we know, before trying to level things too much, its best to let it really shrink up. Total non-smell in about three weeks, on the back of the headstock I coated. It smoothed and molded to the existing finish perfectly on that SG with Townshends autograph on it.

14. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

15. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

I have the MSDS sheet for Rustoleum. It's definitely Nitrocellulose Alkyd Resin. Whatever that means. It does dry pretty quick and is sandable within 6 hours. Hardens fully in about 15 days.

16. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Why do guitar hangers not like Nitro? What to do to avoid ruining the finish because of the hangers or guitar stands?

17. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Its a combination of two things:

1) Nitrocellulose lacquer is an inferior finish, when it comes to protecting wood.

2) Many brands of hangers are slapped together with off-the-shelf materials that are designed for padding and price, with little regard for the things they are meant to protect.

The answer to what to do about it... buy Hercules stands (if you must own inferior guitars ;)).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Weldaar likes this.
  18. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Ha Ha. My better guitars are not affected by the cheaper hangers. I do have several hangers and some Hercules hangers and stands. Maybe it's time to upgrade to all better hangers. (if not better guitars) :) Thanx.