Quantum Amp info?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by DagerOne, Sep 10, 2017.

1. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

Probably a long shot, as Google hasn't turned up much. I have this little Quantum 20 amp, which was a combo (pic below, not mine) but was separated from its cab/speaker by the previous owner.

IMG_4181.JPG

That "B" jack on the rear panel says "4 ohm minimum" so I'm guessing the original speaker would have been 4 ohm as well?

IMG_4185.JPG
    IMG_4184.JPG

I've found some info on another of their amps called the Terminator 25 that suggested it was a 20 watt amp, so I'm guessing this "20" comes in under that. As far as I can tell, it works, so I've considered building a cab for it and picking up a Celestion eight 15 speaker for it.

I'm sure it makes no financial sense, as it'll just be another crappy practice amp, but other than that, any issues people can see with my plan, or recommendations?

Attached Files:

2. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I assume you have to build a cabinet.

3. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

Right. Build a cabinet, buy a speaker, etc. I have an old Peavey Special 112 that I want to build a cabinet for, so this could be good practice anyway.

4. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Wow! I haven't seen one of those in like 20 years! LOL!!! :wow:

I used to build those cabs and repair those little green monsters for a company I worked for years ago called P.R.O. Manufacturing here in upstate NY! :dude:

They came out when the Metallica sludge distortion first became the rage.

They use zenor diodes to clip the signal for distortion instead of gain staging.

Yup, an unbelievable 20 watts of pure solid state mayhem! :run:

It should also have a hookup for a reverb tank on there if you are interested in giving it some depth. :thumb:

EDIT, I just looked again at the pic and this model doesn't have the reverb control showing. Sorry

you should be fine with 4 ohms, but 8 will work too and it will run cooler to boot. Just half as loud!

Wow! Talk about a blast from the past! :applause:

DagerOne likes this.
  5. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I was gonna suggest that you build a Fender tube kit like a tweed Champ or Princeton if you can build cabs. You can make a great practice amp for around $300 if you don't buy a cab. But, it sounds like you already have a few projects. I just put a Mojotone Champ and Weber 10" alnico speaker into a cheap AC4 cab I had and I'm having a blast with that amp. It's great for practice and sounds sweet at almost any volume.

6. DarrellV

This one isn't one of ours, we used metal corners, but it has the reverb circuit and the model number with the 'R' stands for reverb.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a TERMINATOR 2 channel with chorus! Hold on tight!
    [​IMG]
    This could actually be one of ours made right up here in good old USA!
    We did the top route thing and metal corners and strap ends like shown!
    [​IMG]

7. DarrellV

Yup! That's one of ours! We put a monster 12" speaker in those things! Barely any wood on the sides.

Big sound and loud! Sure it was a cheapy 12" but still! That was our selling point, bigger speaker, bigger sound.

Those cabs were built there by hand (I helped design the jigs and fixtures and oversaw the manufacturing).

From a 4X8 sheet of MDF sawed and routed they were glued and air stapled together, then covered in Ozite (the black fuzz) using, are you ready? Hot hide glue! LOL!

Layed out on the assembly line tables they were fitted with metal corners and plastic feet, the amp was slid in and screwed from the top and the speaker clamped in with the grill.

Then we had a red and white striped EVH Hondo clone beater that I donated to plug into them for a final test! Good times!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    lung plunger and DagerOne like this.