Quality control

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Pink_Floyd, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd Senior Member

Has anyone else noticed the lack of quality control with Les Paul models?

I know some of you will be pretty peeved at me for mentioning this, but I am only stating what I see. For instance my first LP STD had to be sent back due to poor finish, and I am not talking niggly things. The nut edges had far too much glue on them and it flaked off taking some of the neck finish with it and leaving a hairline crack. The frets had not been dressed properly after Plek treatment, I could go on but you get the idea.

Almost every LP I pick up in the store I visit has something just not right with it. In stark contrast pick up a MIM Fender and I have yet to find one with any issues.

So has anyone else noticed this? I think it is a shame and the people I chat to in the UK have the same opinion. Some are now turning their backs on Gibson whilst others put it down to a 'hand made product' Both of these responses I find too extreme, I would not turn my back on the guitars but I would not just blindly accept this is due to 'hand production' I am fully aware that a man might not match a machine for speed or absolute precision, but a human has the Mk 1 eyeball to spot flaws machines can't.

Thoughts????

2. GuitarGuy503

GuitarGuy503 Senior Member

This topic has been done many times. The search function is your friend.... :)

3. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I've never noticed any problems with the Gibsons I've played.

4. Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd Senior Member

I shall have a look :thumb:

5. fast1

fast1 Senior Member

i never had probs with my gibson too.[​IMG]

6. UncleLester

UncleLester Senior Member

I just acquired my third LP. All three have been basically flawless. Light years ahead of almost everything I have played. The only guitars that have come close to Gibsons in craftsmanship, playability and finish were Hamer, PRS, Carvin and US Masters. I know this is all subjective, but it's just my experience.

7. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Mostly minor stuff. Do check an old thread. If you want a perfect finish, get a Chinese guitar that is poly coated! So much hand work goes in to finishing a Gibson that you've got to expect some imperfections. That is, afterall, one of the tell tale signs of hand work - imperfections. Bad fretwork and stuff like that is unacceptable, but a finish blemish or a little bit of bleeding of dye in the binding is not something that I think is worth bitching about.

They're guitars, not pieces of art to hang on the wall. Play the F'n things!

I do agree with your post, though - big stuff should not pass through QC.

8. Jims Les Paul

Jims Les Paul Senior Member

Try the new Traditional Plus. I felt the same way you did until I took a chance on a 2009 Traditional Plus. QC on these models is fantastic! What year was your Std that had to be returned?

9. Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd Senior Member

A year 2009 standard.

I do agree with those that say the who thing adds quirky 'hand made' feeling to the guitar. You cannot expect miracles with things that are all hand finished with age old techniques.

That said when you look at frets that have been cut down to size on the plek machine and basically left at that stage and not buffed up it is not hand made quirks, it's pure laziness. Or inconsistent amounts of dye being used, or lumps of glue left on nuts that is not a by product of hand finishing it is poor workmanship.

Still love my R9 though :slash:

10. Cyanide

Cyanide Senior Member

in my opinion Les Paul's have not been as good as they could be since the 80s... my older brother who repairs guitars today got in a custom shop Les Paul with horrible binding with gaps between it and the body bad paint and all around don't sound as good as it should have he a/b a LP he made with the custom shop and his sounded and looked better i almost cried because the dude spent like $4000 and got a POS guitar gone are the days of guitar making for the love of the instrument and not for the money... that's why i vowed to by only custom guitars... because i know what I'm getting then... QUALITY and i get to choose what i want hell id by Epiphone over Gibson now a days...

11. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

I don't have any USAs newer than '04, but I really can't say that I've noticed any of these problems.. I've seen some problems due to being thrown around by everybody in the big stores.. That has nothing to do with Gibson though.

Maybe I just haven't paid much attention, because so many people seeing these things can't be wrong.

All the horror stories I've heard in the last few years leads me to the conclusion that quality is worse now than during any other era. :laugh2:

12. Brian Butler

Brian Butler Senior Member

You know, when I write a question to a forum, and a person writes back that this question has been done many times, I don't usually consider it much of a favor.

I ask TODAY, because I want an answer that hasn't changed in the week, year, decade that has transpired since the last thread on the specific, plus I want to talk to some live people that are available right now, if I have more questions. Sometimes I might even want the companionship of someone to BS with at the same time I get needed information.

So I will assume that you gave this advice to be helpful, which it is. And too, that's why I gave mine. ;)

13. SGMM

SGMM Senior Member

I've noticed QC issues on some standard models....but the CS shtuff still seems very high quality imo....considering the prices QC should be excellent!!

14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I find the search function on forums too inclusive and vague. It would be nice if you could narrow it down more. I would think that a search for "Les Paul + fart" would give you posts that only include BOTH, but it includes posts that contain EITHER.

Les Paul QC peaked in the early to mid 90s.

15. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

At GC I notice A LOT of really bad flaws on LP's. So many that it seems like GC must get a majority of blems coming out of the factory. Cracked bindings and raised pickups rings are the most common problem I see. Both are completely unacceptable IMO. What's even more offensive is that the guitars in question aren't even priced as "blems".

I'm with Dice on allowing some flaws in the finish. But that's where my tolerance stops.

16. GuitarGuy503

GuitarGuy503 Senior Member

I understand where you are coming from but we have had some pretty recent threads on Gibson's quality control.

17. monroe

monroe Senior Member

Is it QC stuff, or damage that has happened in the store?

18. Boleskinehouse

I've only seen store damage.. I haven't exactly been scrutinizing everything I see in GC or Sam Ash anyway. I only go there for strings. :laugh2: When I do pick something up to try, there is usually a lot of minor damage.

19. zslane

zslane Senior Member

I'd be curious to hear what a reputable Gibson dealer like Saul over at Centre City Music has to say about Gibson QC over the years.

20. Boleskinehouse

He laughs! Seriously! When I was on the phone with him ordering my R8 in '06, he quoted my price and after picking my jaw up off the floor, I said; "You know how much GC charges?!?" He laughed and said; "Yeah." :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: