Quality Control Issues with 2018 LPs?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by SoCal Flood, Sep 13, 2017.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but got some info today that I thought I'd share and ask the MLP community for your thoughts.

I was in my local GC to check out the 2018s and an employee there shared with me that they've been finding the 2018s are having quality control issues. Said it was reminiscent of 2015 or worse and has made it hard to sell the new LPs right now. If that's true it's really a shame because my 2017 is perfect and it seems Gibson was on the upswing!

This is just one guy's opinion and who knows if he's right. I know any given year is gonna have some great ones and some duds so I take what he said with a grain of salt. However I just bought a 2017 Standard from him a month ago so he knows he's not gonna lose a sale by telling me this.

All this aside, the 2018 Standard and Classic tops I saw are beautiful! And the two guitars I played looked to be of good quality all around. High actions as usual, but straight necks, clean binding, nice fret boards etc.

Attached Files:

brianbzed likes this.

2. BrainMan

BrainMan Senior Member

Like you said, this is just one guy commenting on the very limited guitars coming from them.

I was in the market for a 2016 Traditional earlier this year and I found the stores in Ottawa had bad stock: dry and light looking fretboards and bad binding scratches. Yet when I went to another store an hour and a half away, they had perfect examples and found my forever Les Paul.

At this point it's just one store that got a few bad examples and there's always better ones out there. Such is the story of Gibson's quality control

SoCal Flood likes this.

3. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

I don't know about the 2018's but my 2017 was flawless.

Sales people always have an agenda. Sometimes they are just trying to steer you in another direction, and they will lie ,cheat or steal to do so. I never trust anything a salesperson says, EVER! I would not believe it till there was a few reputable sources confirming those claims.

4. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

What quality control issues were 2015's known to have?

Gforce & a hologram aren't QC. They're just options/astetics that people don't like.

MJK, cybermgk, Telechamp and 7 others like this.

5. bungle

bungle Premium Member

Don't forget the fugged up wide necks.. Horrible.

6. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

When you have a few guitars from a few manufacturers, it's just another neck. I have a Dean with a wide neck, I'm 100% good with them.

The problem is, if you are accustomed to a certain type of neck, grabbing one that's different can be a huge turnoff. But if you actually played it for a week, by the time you go back, a regular LP or Strat neck will feel inadequate.

That's why most don't like them. They try one and immediately think "hey! That's bad! I'm not used to that!"

smk506, rockola, DLRG and 3 others like this.

7. bungle

bungle Premium Member

Got many(too) guitars. All kinds of different necks. 2015's just feel wrong. End of story. Glad you like yours.

X–Ray, DesolationBlvd and tzd like this.

8. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The 2018's at that GC will probably have QC issues until they manage to clear out all their stock of 2017's, then they will magically become the best year that Gibson produced of late.

9. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Senior Member

The ones at my GC were flawless. Still haven't seen a Blood Orange LP yet though

10. nadzab

nadzab Senior Member

I put zero stock in the information that comes out of the mouths of the employees at GC. If there are guys that you know well and trust to be knowledgeable at your local store then that's one thing, but that's certainly not the case here. It's exactly as others have said, they'll say anything to steer you toward the product they want to sell. They always seem to assume that I don't know a guitar from a groundhog, and then it's just blah, blah, blah...

11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Pointless thread unless you specify what these QC issues are, and 2015 had unfavorable specs, no quality issues more so than any other year.

Lloyd_m, Frogfur, Telechamp and 6 others like this.

12. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Member

This ^^^^

SoManyGuitars likes this.

13. SoCal Flood

I don't get one someone suggests that someone else's thought or question is pointless. Then don't read it or waste your time replying. Hasn't been pointless to me as others have brought up great points. I'm new to the guitar world and still learning about LPs and guitars in general so I don't think my contribution is pointless. This probably seems defensive, but I think comments like that are just unnecessary. Maybe just say something like "this thread would be more helpful with specifics," which by the way I don't disagree with. I just didn't ask for any, but I'll go back and seek them out now. I know I should be more thick skinned but come on. Just because you're hiding behind a keyboard or are very experienced with LPs doesn't mean you should be rude. Not trying to start a fight here by any means. I just see this attitude a lot on forums and it irks me.

14. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Tim wasn't giving you attitude, just illustrating a point: the thread might have been better titled with specific QC issues. That's all it was.

15. mudface

mudface Senior Member

2015s i have experienced had no quality issues that i remember, in fact many were really fantastic, just some of their features really sucked.
    The les paul 100 logo, wide necks, robo tuners, suck-ass nuts to name a few. I did like the MOP inlays, that was cool. No QC issues from people i know that have one. More specifics would be helpful.:D

16. SoCal Flood

Fair enough. I completely acknowledge I may be particularly thin skinned today. Sorry if I went too far in my accusation Tim, I'm sure you're a good dude with a long standing reputation here that speaks for itself. Just wanna make clear in no way am I trying to put down all 2018s nor start another thread bashing 2015 QC or components.

I'm gonna see if I can get any details from the guy at GC and I'll share it here just to see if there's any validity to what he said. That's what I was trying to accomplish in the first place. I trust you guys more than him any day, as his comments are subject to his agenda as a salesman. I knew this thread had potential to ruffle feathers, tried my best to present it in an inoffensive way.

17. efstop

efstop Senior Member

It's all good.

18. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Have to agree with the majority here, the 2015s were excellent in quality - tey just had features some didn`t like.

I have only been to CG a few times (as I live in Europe) but every time I did I found that I had more knowledge about Gibson than all the employees added together.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.

19. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

What QC issues on 2018?... not specific enough...please elaborate.

...thanks!

Bemis likes this.

20. jestremera

jestremera Premium Member

I bought a 2016 LP Custom that was excellent in every way, build-wise. My brand new 2017 LP Custom came with flaws that are annoying: scuff marks on the body, severe neck back-bow, and the neck/binding are slightly off (where they meet is not smooth at all. You can feel a small "step"). The neck was an easy fix. I made all my complaints known to the dealer and he gave me a very good discount. Once I plugged it in, all of those things went away. I didn't care about any of those flaws in the least bit. The tone is outstanding. It sounds better than any other LP I've ever owned despite the QC issues. I can't comment on 2018's but like others have said, every year will have their duds