Quality control in Historics. Interesting read

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Sfscott, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sfscott

Sfscott Member

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Had 4 historics, non of them had issues....

2 Standards, no issues...

1 person likes this.
  3. davidos

davidos Senior Member

Interesting read....

Something seems fishy about that.... Either the owner dropped it, over tightened the truss rod or the first tech he went to butchered it... If that was me I'd send it back to the CS instead of all that... The fact that he didn't leads me to believe that there is more to the story...

7 people like this.
  4. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I have been through 9 different historics never a single problem.

2 Trads and one had a tiny Finnish issue....Excellent guitars BTW...

I Am "discovering some issues with the ABR saddle screws of late however...But thats little things. Never a Structural issue like this.

And why if its new did it not go back to Gibson? And if the Shop that set it up destroyed it why didn't they fix it?

Some one dropped it. I need to read the whole thing yet....

2 people like this.
  5. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Agreed. A bit stinky. So... the first shop set it up and the neck split? If so, the guitar was not quite fresh off the assembly line... it was fresh off the bench of some tech who split the neck. If the split occurred as a result of a routine truss rod adjustment, Gibson should have been brought into the mix... I'm sure they would have made it right for the owner. Odd.

6. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Sounds like the typical BS story from a place trying to drum up business on what great work they do.

The story should have been about what dumbass would be stupid enough to spend $6K+ on a guitar, find out it has "so called :rolleyes:" major construction flaws, not contact Gibson about warranty repair or replacement then pay someone who knows how much $$$$ to fix a guitar that could have been fixed or replaced for free. :laugh2:

5 people like this.
  7. cmcgov

cmcgov Senior Member

This article isn't about quality control from the Gibson Factory. See excerpt here:
    To me it simply seems as if the previous shop that was setting up the guitar over tightened the trussrod and caused these issues. Due to the owner/guitar player not knowing how to set up the action and truss rod themselves, which is why they took it to the shop in the first place. Simple case of one person having money to buy things and hiring someone who didn't know what they were doing with those cool things, then finding a pro to fix the first person hired mistake.

6 people like this.
  8. voices

voices Senior Member

I don't believe for one second that that guitar left the factory that way... especially the Custom Shop.

2 people like this.
  9. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I agree but the first paragraph of the article makes it sound like the issues are Gibsons poor craftsmanship. Pretty much makes everything else he says in the article worthless IMO.

A guitar needed some tweaking to the setup after leaving the factory, being shipped and sitting at a store should be obvious to the guy writing the article since he wants to come across knowledgeable.

10. tspoon5150

tspoon5150 Senior Member

I imagine someone tightened the truss rod to much. I have owned over
    80 Re Issues and not a problem with any of them.

I doubt very seriously that guitar left Gibson in that kind of condition,
    Even if it had, the owner should have sent it back for warranty work.

If some one needs a nice set up and do not know what they are doing,
    take to a good tech before they mess it up and have to resort
    to sending it to a repair guy to fix it.

11. Sixstring63

Sixstring63 Senior Member

Just bridge saddle screws bent. Seems like they musta bought about 500,000 of them bad. LOL. 2013 R8 is perfect other than that.

1 person likes this.
  12. ubw

ubw Senior Member

What everyone else has said - we're not hearing the story in its entirety.

And that guitar looked like a Sandy with the zebra pups. Maybe it isn't a Sandy but either way, it's too hard to believe a Historic would leave the CS in this state AND the owner let the first tech slide if he did such a sloppy job.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Senior Member

Blame it all on the first shop. Any competent tech would know better than to adjust the truss rod until it bottoms out and splits the neck! At that point, Gibson's warranty is null and void. The owner probably did it himself and blamed it on some shop, is my guess. A bottomed-out truss rod and a split neck almost always point to an over-eager ham-fisted can't-leave-well-enough-alone amateur.

He should have simply sent it to Kim LaFleur of Historic Makeover and got it rebuilt.

Oh well, it is probably going to come on the used market soon. Caveat emptor, anybody looking for a used R9 out of the SF Bay Area :laugh2:

4 people like this.
  14. tspoon5150

tspoon5150 Senior Member

+ 1. Exactly what I was thinking.

1 person likes this.
  15. abracadaben

abracadaben Senior Member

Man, did he use costco guitar tech to split the neck???? I agree on the "did it himself and blamed it on someone else" even questioning the whole story.

16. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Senior Member

The article is pretty damaging to the Gibson Custom Shop's reputation because it insidiously implies that the problem began with the Gibson Custom Shop's poor quality. I have written to Gibson and notified Gibson of the existence of the article.

17. boyscout

boyscout GAS study patient member Premium Member

Tough crowd!

The story is plausible to me because on a small buying binge in the past couple of years I've encountered FOUR new Custom Shop guitars with the same initial problem described in this story: the neck has a hump where it overlaps the body.

People here can be forgiven for objecting to the contention that the guitar came "straight off the assembly line" with serious problems - probably not, that's probably a figure of speech - but it may well have been a brand-new guitar that had lived in warehouses and/or stores for a while before the owner purchased it. Stuff can happen as guitars go through environment changes and settle.

Of the four I've seen I bought two, returned one after a pro assessment of how bad it was (the store still hasn't sold it more than a year later) and had the not-too-bad one fixed with a fret dressing. The guy that owns it now says it's his #1 guitar, it was worth the trouble. But if the tech who did that minor work for me had been a clod I could have been in this story that everyone is calling BS!

It's plausible that the owner purchased the guitar (maybe online) without Gibson warranty. He took it to a nearby tech thinking a cheap setup fix was easier than returning it, and/or the guitar was a good one but for a little trouble with buzzing. The tech turned out to be a clod and damaged the guitar, so it could no longer be returned. So the owner decided to go to a real pro to get it looked after. Sounds like they did a nice job, lucky guy.

No doubt the story HAS been published to help promote the business, but what's wrong with that? It doesn't automatically make the story false in my book, even if the PLEK promotion was laid on a little thick.

And to those who think that a Custom Shop guitar cannot ever have problems... naw... let's not start that one again!

18. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Is it possible this issue is due to someone in the CS not doing their job correctly, sure.

Is it probable the fault lies with the first tech to touch the guitar where the split developed, absolutely.

Does spending 6k on a CS get you "the best guitars built in the world" - no. It should get you a fine mass produced instrument from a major manufacturer though. As with anything mass produced - there will be errors. You just hope QA catches it before it ships...and when it doesnt, the dealer returns it before it hits the sales floor. Of course when you buy from certain dealers..this never happens as the guitar is never even unboxed, or just for a quick photograph.

Self serving ad's in the form of an "article" like this are nothing new..didnt Ed Roman publish quite a few in his time, while pushing his services. They all drone on and on about "modern" guitars...your telling me NO '58-60 LP's left the shop without issue, at a time where QC was non existent ?

So the author of this article see's something 99% of the world is missing (that Gibson and all other modern mass makers are producing an inferior product)..either he is far ahead of his time, or completely full of it....most be the former as he acknowledges never having made a mistake.

1 person likes this.
  19. OPenwheel

OPenwheel Senior Member

"but when a brand new $6k + guitar comes off the assembly line and needs to go straight to the repair shop, I just have to shake my head. The guitar that set me off this time was a beautiful Les Paul, a Custom Shop Historic Reissue, supposedly the best of the best"

"...no matter how much a guitar costs, it may not be built correctly"

This was all I have to read to know this guy is full of it. This had nothing to do with CS quality. It was the previous tech (likely the owner). Why jab at Gibson here? I definitely would not take my guitar to this guy.

1 person likes this.
  20. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Thats whats called an ARTRA

Air Ratchet Truss Rod Adjustment :laugh2::laugh2:

Can you hear it? :shock:

2 people like this.