[Q] So lets talk EQ's for a second, how many of you use them..

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by sfla99, Feb 10, 2009.

1. sfla99

sfla99 Senior Member

Hi all,

Well I am running my G0 through a Mesa Express 5:25, if you are not familiar with this amps tone, it is more British sounding and has gain in the modern down to classic rock levels.

I have a few pedals in the chain but I find I use them seldom, most of the time I go straight in with no additional effects.

I should also note I run a Dr. Z air brake at bedroom levels so this changes the tone slightly.

On to the real question:

I have been trying to figure out if I should EQ or not. For me, the tone of the amp is great, it gets the crunch I am after, but what I do find a bit distracting to me is the nasal aspect of this amp, it never really bothered me before this weekend.

I know you are going to think I have lost my mind, but I went to visit a friend who's son plays through a Spider (3) I think it was, not this as we know is SS and does modeling, but I plugged in and my LP just sang, it was lean, mean and most of all vibrant sounding.

This made me think when I got home and plugged into my little Mesa that cost ohh 3-4 times the price + attenuator lol.

So, the tube amp gets me where I think I want to be, but it seems a little off, is using an EQ the right way to go or should I try some other things first?

I think the Mesa is capable of creating great tones with texture, but there is something that just seems a little off with the end result. I had hoped to just run direct with my amp, and I do use pedals on the clean, but the natural crunch of the amp is what sold me a few months back.

So is an EQ the answer to this long winder question, or will I need more.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

2. ozone

ozone Senior Member

Well for me I tried to get a punchier bass response from my amp and couldn't. My last result was to use the EQ. I have a Boss GE7. With the EQ I'm able to dial in on what I want, more bass, more mids, etc. If you can't get your tone smoothed out by using your amp control knobs, then go for the EQ. Maybe you should try one out first before you fork up some cash.

3. BDW60

BDW60 Senior Member

I have much the same issue and have been wondering about EQs.

My G0 and other guitars sound quite good straight through my Mesa F30, but for some reason the Boogie really seems to fight certain tweaking for tones just using the knobs. And I can't even use my Boss CS-3 in front of it ... just sucks the tone right out of the amp. The F30 has plenty of natural tube compression, but I can't even use the CS-3 to tighten it up a little bit without it sounding terrible -- like someone threw a blanket over it.

Meanwhile, the CS-3 works brilliantly in front of my Vox Valvetronix 50 watt solid state amp ... shines most of the models right up and the Dumble model in particular is just killer and sings. Very responsive and simple tone tweaking on all the models, distorted and clean.

I'm starting to think Boogies do one thing really well and only one thing ... sound like a Boogie. Which is cool, but maybe you can't expect to get much tonal range out of one. The longer I have the F30, I'm more convinced that it is really a one trick pony. It's a damn good trick, though ... :thumb:

4. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

IMHO most tube amps have a particular thing they do very well and, other types of tones are not great. A lot of time the other type of tones are very usable to usable.....

when you say nasaly...you mean upper mids are too pronounced? it is really important to keep the room you are in while playing the guitar in mind....A lot of times, I adjust the eq on the amp due to different acoustics because of the rooms.....

is it possible to discribe what you are hearing a bit better?

since you have an LP a lot of adjustment can be done on the fly by utilizing the pick up selector, vol and tone knobs.

take a look at my jazz women tone vid and see if that gives you any ideas:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CDcody0ko&feature=channel_page]YouTube - ec women tone developed into my jazz women tone[/ame]

5. 5er driver

5er driver Senior Member

+1. My SL-X is week in the bottom end department, most JCM 900s are. The GE-7 fixed that.

6. ReadingOwls

ReadingOwls Senior Member

I've been thinking about EQ's alot! It would be quite nice to be able to get a new amp with a really lush clean sound with clarity without being too bright. Then if my gain pedal doesn't work I can go grab meself an EQ and fix it!

Also EQ's are great for fine tuning a lovely sound you allready have.

7. River

River Senior Member

8. Syn

Syn Senior Member

I found the best way to use it was to set the amp as close as I could get it to the tone I had in my head, then put my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop, fine tune the tone to ideal and leave it on.

If the amp is close to what you are after the EQ may be the solution.

Oh and thanks River that article was very informative!