[q] I have a hard time choosing an amp..

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by MostEd, Jan 17, 2017.

1. MostEd

MostEd Senior Member

Hey guys,

I never followed through with my original plans 3 years ago with the Orange Micro Terror and a cabinet for it. I am in germany and I would like to spend as least as I could.

I have an Epiphone LP w/ re-wind PAF Pickups; and I am looking to play anything around Van Halen, Black Sabbath, the stoner rock/metal sounds, and if possible some dime-y like sounds as well, however I know my guitar isn't well equipped for insane amounts of gain.

I'm not looking for a modeling amplifier, I want the amp/cab/head combo to do clean+gain. If it's a combo amp, i'd maybe throw a phaser or wah in there, i have a boss metal distortion pedal already.

thanks in advance

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Sounds like an Orange Micro Terror would be perfect! :naughty:

Seriously.

3. MostEd

MostEd Senior Member

I know, and it's one of my choices but the problem is what cabinet to i pick to it that won't kill my neighbours, and won't be ****, and won't be too cheap or too expensive. I mean a 4x12 would let the whole neighborhood know I'm playing, a 1x8 might be too ****ty...

4. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

How expensive is jet city stuff in your area?

5. northernguitarguy

An Orange 112 would be perfect. This is MLP member Batman's setup for when he is working away from home. I heard it a few weeks ago and it sounded fantastic. Any good 1x12 would be ideal for you. I hear the headphone out on the Micro Terror sounds like ass, but not so on the Micro Dark. :hmm:

6. MostEd

MostEd Senior Member

7. northernguitarguy

Any chance of buying used where you are?

8. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

9. MostEd

MostEd Senior Member

The head's a bit too expensive IMHO, plus I definitely dig the orange micro terror, but looks like the overwhelming majority here says go with a head and a cab. Am starting to save up :D

10. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I haven't even played a JCA22 head, but I'm gonna say its almost sure to be a more versatile amp that a Micro Terror. A Micro Terror is inexpensive and sounds surprisingly good of the price point and has the novelty of its diminutive size. It's not a "great" amp and sounds harsh/sterile in comparison to my Dual Terror. The Dual Terror has some clean tones while the Micro really doesn't. I keep mine and carry it as a back up gig saver but I'm under no delusion that I would sound just as good with the Micro Terror.

As previously noted the Micro Terror headphone out is terrible.

11. MostEd

MostEd Senior Member

The Dual Terror is way out of my price range.. Going back to the drawing board.. A Dark Micro terror my be more right up my alley.

But are there any good combo amps that could get me the tones/sounds I mentioned in the first post? Wondering if maybe a cheaper Combo amp could do the job good. And I don't want anything modelling related, I want it to go from clean to dirty, I'll add the effects one by one later.

12. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

Blackstar Ht series used are cheap and the headphone out sounds fantastic. Great overdrive too. As much as you will ever want. :)

13. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

What about the new Boss Katana, what is it's availability for you. I have the Boss Katana 50w Combo, which sounds amazing and has a few added affects and reverb to it. Very easy to use and sounds amazing with a .5w, 25w and 50w setting for what ever volume you with to play at.

14. MostEd

MostEd Senior Member

I found a small transistor Marshall combo I kind of find okay, what do you guys think about it: Marshall MG15CF and based on demos, looks like it could sound fantastic.

I would also want to get a pedal if I go to get this combo. What would be a reccomendation for that, flange, phaser, chorus, wah? I have a Boss MT2, which is sometimes a bit too much..

15. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Senior Member

Maybe look into Laney amps. They make some nice low watt combos.

16. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

Orange Micro or the Blackstar HT1 or HT5 would be perfect for you.

17. MostEd

MostEd Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I will look at these as my "next" amplifier ideas when I need to be louder in hopefully what could be a band between me and other musicians. And when my playing impresses my dad so he can let me use more money.

I already got a smallert 15watt combo for now.