Put a little experiment together - Helix Floor vs Helix Native

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by PJH, Sep 2, 2017.

1. PJH

PJH Junior Member

I put this track together using the Helix Floor Hardware version plugged into the DAW (Sonar Platinum) and then created the same track using Helix Native.

I used my Plexi Crunch Patch and played the parts separately. I've tried to match the levels as best as I can but other than that there was no post processing.

I brought my patch into Helix Native and tracked the parts. I set up my audio interface so that there was no latency and played as though I was using the hardware Helix.

I then re tracked the parts with the same patch in the Helix Floor and recorded them again.

I'm really impressed with how close these tones are (I know that Line 6 has said that they're supposed to be identical but I just had to see for myself)

Cheers

Peter.

Helix Native
    https://soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/helix-native-plexi-crunch-1

Helix Floor
    https://soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/helix-plexi-crunch

mdubya and Donal like this.
  2. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

can you not run a dry out and effected out on the helix into your DAW?
    This is what I do on my axe FX I run one output that is completely DI and the second output which has the amp and cab sim on it, that way I can just reamp the DI track using a plug in amp sim, such as helix native.

3. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Yes, you can run a dry DI out but the problem with the dry track is that you're never quite sure that the level that you're recording the dry track is quite right and this affects the tone quite significantly. I set it up as though it was the hardware version and I was completely happy with the tone and "feel" before recording.

I also did this for the user who doesn't have the hardware version but can still experience the tone and feel when tracking. I was able to track the parts through Native with virtually no latency whatsoever.

Cheers

4. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

What I do on the DI track from my axe is set up the plugin in the DAW and and mute the Axe FX track, then Dial in the input on the DI track with a plug in going before I start recording, that way I know the DI signal is at an optimal level.
    It helps that the Axe FX has separate output knobs for out 1 and out 2. makes it easier to dial them in.

yeah very cool of you to do the side by side, was just curious how it would sound with the same exact signal hitting both methods, just to eliminate variances in playing. But it sounds really good for both methods. I really Wish Fractal would release a plugin version. would make my guitar recording life complete!

5. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

I was thinking of Native, but it seems that you have to have your network adapter active and online which is a deal breaker for me since Pro Tools 10HD doesn't like adapters being enabled.....

Saving my $$ for a Kemper.....

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  6. saks

saks Premium Member

I believe that that is only for the trial version. The full version, once you activate your good.

Edit: Updated to include I haven't found that to be the case with the full version. Users report this with the trial version.

7. saks

saks Premium Member

very cool test, haven't tried playing straight into it, just re-amping.

8. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Native sounded pretty good. It was a little thinner, with less sub harmonics, to my ears.