Purchasing vs. Subscription Plugins

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kfowler8, Feb 16, 2018.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

What's your thoughts on subscription based plugins? For example, Slate Digital offers you an All Access Pass for $14.95 per month (one year commitment). With this you get access to any plugin they have plus any new plugin or update they release. Contrast that to buying the plugin out right.

You can purchase the Virtual Mix Rack for $200 and own it for life. Not sure if that includes any updates or now.

I tend to not like subscription services as the costs can really add up over time but I can see the logic some of these all access passes.

The other consideration is how many of these other plugins would I actually use.

Attached Files:

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

While a bit different, when I upgraded my whole studio and decide to go ProTools again, I went with buying outright instead of doing the subscription thing. With my plug-ins I bought the ones I would want to use. I tend to like Waves and they run A LOT of specials, so it took a little time - but it was worth it. I go back and forth doing the yearly subscription for AVID's plug-ins, but life has been fine without them...

I don't like the idea of "renting" gear - real or virtual, lol.

Joeydego, KP11520 and kfowler8 like this.

3. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

The other problem you run into with subscriptions is lets say you have one and then let it expire. You then go back to a mix where you used those plugins. Then you're screwed. You'd have to subscribe again to get the mix back.

w.izzy and mmd like this.

4. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

So did you have to go with PT 11 or can you buy PT 12.whatever the latest is?

As you know, I don't like the idea of annual subscription fees either.

mmd and Joeydego like this.

5. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

I subscribe for protools. We get an academic rate and its 8 bucks a month. I dont need to own the daw. I get all the updates.

jeff_farkas and mmd like this.

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I got 12.8 at an academic price (I am a teacher by day, lol). I get the updates for a year, but for $99 a year I can reinstate my upgrade plan. Even if I had to pay full price for the perpetual license, it would be worth it for me. I do enough work for people to make ownership worthwhile.

Heck yeah - the academic pricing is wonderful. Glad they offered it, and it wasn't a hassle to confirm - I was expecting it to be overly complicated since the price was SO good!!

Joeydego likes this.

7. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

give them a .edu email addy and its pretty much a given.

jeff_farkas likes this.