Purchasing a Brazilian rosewood blank....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by clutchcargo, Sep 26, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

How difficult is it to cut the fret slots and fret the wire. And also, how difficult is it to take my old fretboard off and glue the new one down.
    Would I remove the old board, glue down the new board and then cut and fret the wire? Would I be able to unglue and pull back the binding and then reglue it after the new board is on?
    I'm thinking I would probably need new binding to trim and create the nibs. The old nibs probably wouldn't match up.
    Anyway, I'm buying the board from Exotic Woods, which is ironically a few towns over from me. They have a nice dark piece of quarter sawn Brazilian that I have to have.
    Apparently they bought these boards from Paul Reed Smiths NOS pile. So at least I can look around in person and choose something special.

Your comments and recommendations are welcome. Please advise.

2. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

What tools do you have or are intending on purchasing? You would need at the very least a saw with a kerf to match the fret tang. Why don't you get Exotic to saw the frets for you? I know they do other boards.

What kind of $$$ are they asking for their Brazilian? I live quite close and get there quite a bit.

I also have the ability to cut slots. I have the Stew Mac table saw blade and a mitre box as well as most templates for the different scale lengths. I live Hamilton, which is essentially one town over from Burlington.

Cheers Peter.

clutchcargo likes this.
  3. clutchcargo

Peter you live in Jersey? I'm in Blackwood, so I'm close by them also. I don't have any tools. I was going to purchase them.

But I could pay you what is fair to help me with this project if you would be inclined to do do. They are asking $128 for the board.

4. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

5. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

LOL - Different Exotic Woods. We have one about 20 mins away from where I live. They deal in all kinds of Exotic lumber and have a guitar room and section. I called them all excited but they laughed at me! :facepalm:

Good luck. It's a pretty quick process with the right tools.

Cheers Peter.

WhiteEpiLP and clutchcargo like this.
  6. clutchcargo

Any good luthiers in the South Jersey area?

7. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

If you've never made a fretboard before I would not recommend your first try being a 128.00 piece of wood.

There luthiers o plenty on this forum that would probably do it for you. Of course you'd have to pay shipping as well as what they would charge for the work. etc

Are you wanting to do trap inlays and the whole 9 yards?

based on the nibs comment I'm assuming this is for a Les Paul?

jkes01 likes this.
  8. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I was getting all excited too, I live literally 5 minutes from exotic woods in burlington.
    Too good to be true i guess.
    They do have some genuine mahogany blanks for sale right now that i was eyeing.

clutchcargo likes this.
  9. archey

archey Senior Member

I do have some really nice looking pieces available. If you have any interest you can pm me.

clutchcargo and jkes01 like this.
  10. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

I certainly would if it wouldn’t be cause for divorce.

clutchcargo likes this.
  11. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Pshupe and I are in Canada so no dice on your supply archey. But ive read your thread about the braz you came across, that was a pretty sweet score.

archey likes this.
  12. clutchcargo

PM sent archery.

archey likes this.
  13. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

If you've never done this before, I SERIOUSLY recommend that you 1) get a good step by step book on how to do it, 2) acquire the proper tools, and 3) do a practice run (or two) on scrap wood before you touch that BRW blank.

Generally, it's easiest to square up and thickness the blank, cut the slots, taper to final dimensions, radius, glue up, fret, bind, and level and dress in that order. Some prefer to radius on the neck after gluing.

14. clutchcargo

I'm coming to the realization that I'm going to need a real luthier to help me. That's why I'm looking for one in the South Jersey area that does good work.

I don't want to send my guitar off in the mail for an ungodly unknown amount of time.

If anyone knows of such a person. Please let me know.

Thanks
    TK

15. clutchcargo

Has anyone ever heard of Peter Brown? He's a luthier in Collingswood NJ. He graduated from Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery in 2001.

16. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member